Practice Turkish

Add reply to this discussion
A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  >>
1.       Abla
3648 posts
 02 Jul 2011 Sat 05:27 pm

I´ll move this topic to the Practice section where it belongs and where it should have been in the first place.

The sentences below are from accident announcements that car drivers have written to there insurance companies. Poor writing skills and an attempt to look innocent in the reader´s eyes have changed the meaning to something odd and funny but as the sentences are quite normal in structure I thougt I could practice with them.

1. On my way home I turned to the wrong house and hit a tree which I don’t have.

Eve geliyorken yanlış eve dönüp benimki yok bir ağaca çarptım.  

2. This guy was everywhere in the street. I had to curve many times until I hit him.

Bu adam sokağın her yerindedi. Ona çarpmadan önce çok dönmeliydim.  

3. I thought the window was down but I noticed it was up when I pushed my head through it.

Pencereyen aşağıda olduğuna sandım ama başımı onun içinden ittiğim an onun yukarıda olduğunu dikkat ettim.

4. While trying to kill a bug I hit the telephone post.

Bir böcek ödenmeye çalışıyorken telefon sütununa çarptım.

5. After driving for 40 years I slept in the wheel and ended up in an accident.

Kırk yıl sürdükten sonra direksyonda uyuyakalıp kazaya uğradım.

6. When I approached the crossing a traffic sigh appeared in a place where no stop sign ever appeared. I couldn’t stop in time to avoid the accident.

Ben geçişe yaklaşıyorken bir trafik işaret hiç dur işaretiki eskiden yok bir yerde belirdi. Kazayı sakınmak için vaktinde durmabildim.

7. I told the police I was not wounded but when I took off my cap I noticed that I had a skull fracture.

Polise zarar vermediğimi anlattım ama şapkam çıkardığım an kafatası çatlamasım var olduğunu dikkat ettim.

8. The pedestrian didn’t have any idea where to go and so I drove over him.

Yayanın nereye gitmek hiçbir fikrisi yok olmak için ben onun üzerine sürmem zorunda kaldım.

9. I saw a slowly moving, sad old gentleman when he fell from the roof of my car.

Yavaş hareket etmeyen, üzgün, yaşlı bir efendi arabamın çatısından düştüğü an gördüm.

10. An undirect reason to the accident was a small guy in a small car with a big mouth.

Küçük bir arabadaki büyük bir ağızın sahibi olan küçük bir erkek kazanın dolaylı  nedenidir.

11. A telephone post got closer to me. I intended to turn when I hit the other car.

Bir telefon sütunu bana yaklaştı. Dönmek isteyken ayrı arabaya çarptım.

12. I hit a parked lorry which came from the opposite direction.

Karşıki yönden gelen park ettik bir kamyona çarptım.

13. A lorry reversed though the windscreen to my wife’s face.

Bir kamyon ön camın içinden kadınımın yüzüne tersyüz etti.

14. An unvisible car came from nowhere, hit my car and disappeared.

Görülmez bir abara hiç bir yerden gelip arabama çarptı ve ortadan kayboldu.

15. I beeped but the honk didn’t work because it had been stolen.

Sesle uyaracak oldum ama klakson çaldık olmak için çalışmadı.

16. A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.

Bir yaya bana çarbıp arabamin aşağıya gitti.

Edited (7/2/2011) by Abla

Elisabeth, ahmet_a1b2, suzanne2013, nifrtity and nemanjasrb liked this message
2.       si++
3785 posts
 03 Jul 2011 Sun 10:13 am

Quoting Abla

I´ll move this topic to the Practice section where it belongs and where it should have been in the first place.

The sentences below are from accident announcements that car drivers have written to there insurance companies. Poor writing skills and an attempt to look innocent in the reader´s eyes have changed the meaning to something odd and funny but as the sentences are quite normal in structure I thougt I could practice with them.

1. On my way home I turned to the wrong house and hit a tree which I don’t have.

Eve geliyorken yanlış eve dönüp benimki yok bir ağaca çarptım.  

Eve geliyorken (gelirken/dönerken) yanlış bir eve saptım ve (sapıp) benimkinde olmayan bir ağaca çarptım.

2. This guy was everywhere in the street. I had to curve many times until I hit him.

Bu adam sokağın her yerindedi. Ona çarpmadan önce çok dönmeliydim.  

Bu adam sokağın her yerindeydi. Ona çarpana dek (kadar) bir çok kez (kere/defa) zigzaglar çizmek zorunda kaldım.

3. I thought the window was down but I noticed it was up when I pushed my head through it.

Pencereninyen aşağıda olduğuna sandımsanıyordum ama başımı onun içinden ittiğim an onun yukarıda olduğunu dikkat farkettim.

4. While trying to kill a bug I hit the telephone post.

Bir böcek ödenmeye öldürmeye çalışıyorken(çalışırken) telefon sütununa(direğine) çarptım.

5. After driving for 40 years I slept in the wheel and ended up in an accident.

Kırk yıl sürdükten sonra direksiyonda uyuyakalıp kazaya uğradım karıştım.

6. When I approached the crossing a traffic sigh appeared in a place where no stop sign ever appeared. I couldn’t stop in time to avoid the accident.

Ben geçişe yaklaşıyorken bir trafik işaret hiç dur işaretiki eskiden yok bir yerde belirdi. Kazayı sakınmak için vaktinde durmabildim.

Dur tabelası hiç belli olmayan bir kavşağa yaklaşırken, işareti zamanında göremeyip kazadan sakınamadım (kendimi koruyamadım).

7. I told the police I was not wounded but when I took off my cap I noticed that I had a skull fracture.

Polise zarar vermediğimi anlattım ama şapkam çıkardığım an kafatası çatlamasım var olduğunu dikkat ettim.

Polise yaralı olmadığımı söyledim ama başlığımı çıkarınca kafatasımda kırık olduğunu farkettim.

8. The pedestrian didn’t have any idea where to go and so I drove over him.

Yayanın nereye gitmek hiçbir fikrisi yok olmak için ben onun üzerine sürmem zorunda kaldım.

Nereye gideceğini bilemeyen bir yayanın üzerine sürmek zorunda kaldım.

9. I saw a slowly moving, sad old gentleman when he fell from the roof of my car.

Yavaş hareket etmeyen, üzgün, yaşlı bir efendi arabamın çatısından düştüğü an gördüm.

Arabamın üstünden düşen üzgün, yaşlı, yavaş (hareket eden) bir beyefendi gördüm.

10. An undirect reason to the accident was a small guy in a small car with a big mouth.

Küçük bir arabadaki büyük bir ağızın sahibi olan küçük bir erkek kazanın dolaylı  nedenidir. Yes but see my improved one.

Küçük bir arabadaki büyük ağızlı küçük bir erkek kazanın dolaylı  nedenidir.

11. A telephone post got closer to me. I intended to turn when I hit the other car.

Bir telefon sütunu bana yaklaştı. Dönmek isteyken ayrı arabaya çarptım.

Bir telefon direğine yaklaşırken dönmeye çalışınca başka bir arabaya çarptım.

12. I hit a parked lorry which came from the opposite direction.

Karşıki yönden gelen park ettik bir kamyona çarptım.

Karşı yönde park etmiş bir kamyona çarptım.

13. A lorry reversed though the windscreen to my wife’s face.

Bir kamyon ön camın içinden kadınımın yüzüne tersyüz etti.

Bir kamyon geri geri gelip ön camdan karımın yüzüne çarptı.

14. An unvisible car came from nowhere, hit my car and disappeared.

Görülmez bir abara hiç bir yerden gelip arabama çarptı ve ortadan kayboldu.

Nereden geldiği anlaşılamayan (belli olmayan) bir araba arabama çarpıp kaçtı (kayboldu)

15. I beeped but the honk didn’t work because it had been stolen.

Sesle uyaracak oldum ama klakson çaldık olmak için çalışmadı.

Klaksonumu çalmaya çalıştım ama çalınmış olduğundan(olduğu için) ses çıkarmadı (çalışmadı.

16. A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.

Bir yayaya çarpıp arabamın altına aldım. (we usually say "I hit a pedestrian" not the other way)

Bir yaya bana çarbıp arabamin aşağıya gitti.

3.       Abla
3648 posts
 03 Jul 2011 Sun 06:13 pm

Sağ olun, si++!

The good news is as far as I know nobody was ever banned from this site because of poor Turkish. I checked.

nemanjasrb and Sir_Robalot liked this message
4.       Abla
3648 posts
 06 Jul 2011 Wed 07:48 pm

I tried to translate an old fable which I like:

A scorpion, being a very poor swimmer, asked a turtle to carry him on his back across the river. “Are you mad?” exclaimed the turtle. “You’ll sting me while I’m swimming and I’ll drown.”  “My dear turtle,” laughed the scorpion, “if I were to sting you, you would drown and I would go down with you. Now where is the logic in that?” “You’re right!” said the turtle. “Hop on!” The scorpion climbed aboard and halfway across the river gave the turtle a mighty sting. As they both sank to the bottom, the turtle resignedly said: “Do you mind if I ask you something? You said there’d be lo logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?” “It has nothing to do with logic,” the drowning scorpion sadly replied. “It’s just my character.”

Bir akrep, kendinin kötü bir yüzücü olduğu için, bir kaplumbağanın onu bir ırmağın başka kıyısına sırtının üzerinde taşımasını rica etmiş. Kaplumbağa  -  Deli misin?  -  bağırmış.  -  Ben yüzüyorken senin beni sokmasınla boğulacağım. Akrep  -  Kaplumbağa canım  -  gülmüş.  -  Seni soğacaksam, sen suda boğulken seninle de ben aşağı gideceğim. Bunun mantığı nerede? Kaplumbağa  -  Haklısın!  -  demiş.  -  Haydi bin! Akrep binip ırmağın yarı yolunda kaplumbağaya güçlü bir sokma vermiş. Kaplumbağa ikisinin ırmağın dibine badacak olduğundan boyun eğip  -  Bir şey sorarsam olur mu? Senin beni sokmasında mantık değil olduğunu dedin. Onu niye yaptın?  -  demiş. Suda boğulan akrep  -  Bunun mantık ile hiç bir ilişkisi yok  -  cevabı üzüntüyle vermiş.  -  O sadece benim yaratılışıyımdır.

basima, trip and cosmopolite liked this message
5.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 07 Jul 2011 Thu 12:21 am

A scorpion, being a very poor swimmer, asked a turtle to carry him on his back across the river. “Are you mad?” exclaimed the turtle. “You’ll sting me while I’m swimming and I’ll drown.”  “My dear turtle,” laughed the scorpion, “if I were to sting you, you would drown and I would go down with you. Now where is the logic in that?” “You’re right!” said the turtle. “Hop on!” The scorpion climbed aboard and halfway across the river gave the turtle a mighty sting. As they both sank to the bottom, the turtle resignedly said: “Do you mind if I ask you something? You said there’d be lo logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?” “It has nothing to do with logic,” the drowning scorpion sadly replied. “It’s just my character.”

Here are the minimum corrections. (I didn´t touch everywhere)

Bir akrep, kendinin kötü bir yüzücü olduğu için, bir kaplumbağanın kaplumbağadan onu bir ırmağın başka  öbür kıyısına sırtının üzerinde taşımasını rica etmiş. Kaplumbağa  -  Deli misin?  -  diye bağırmış.  -  Ben yüzüyorken senin beni sokmasınla sokmanla boğulacağım  boğulurum. Akrep  - Canım Kaplumbağa canım  - diyerek gülmüş.  -  Seni sokacaksam sokarsam sen suda boğulurkenken seninle de  birlikte ben de aşağı gideceğim batarım. Bunun mantığı nerede? Kaplumbağa  -  Haklısın!  -  demiş.  -  Haydi bin! Akrep binip ırmağın yarı yolunda kaplumbağayı güçlü bir şekilde sokmuş sokma vermiş. Kaplumbağa ikisinin ikisi de ırmağın dibine batacak olduğundan boyun eğip  -  Bir şey sorarsam olur mu? Senin beni sokmasında sokmanda sokmanda mantık  değil olduğunu olmadığını dedin. Onu Peki niye yaptın?  -  demiş. Suda boğulan akrep  -  Bunun mantık ile hiç bir ilişkisi yok  -  cevabı üzüntüyle vermiş.  -  O Bu sadece benim yaratılışıımdır.

İmpressing try.

Edited (7/7/2011) by gokuyum

basima liked this message
6.       Abla
3648 posts
 07 Jul 2011 Thu 01:23 pm

Thank you for the corrections, gokuyum.

I bet all those lexical faults sound funny but I´m not so worried about them. There is one grammar mistake which makes me angry but maybe it´s better not to mention it...maybe there is someone who doesn´t notice. Tense faults are very hard to correct: I try to choose them using all my knowledge but still make wrong decisions. What it takes, I guess, is more reading and listening.

A couple of notes:

- Is var/değil olduk wrong in every situation or in this case specifically?

- Why batacak but gidecek? Bitecek or bidecek? Yatacak or yadacak?

7.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 07 Jul 2011 Thu 02:00 pm

Quoting Abla

Thank you for the corrections, gokuyum.

I bet all those lexical faults sound funny but I´m not so worried about them. There is one grammar mistake which makes me angry but maybe it´s better not to mention it...maybe there is someone who doesn´t notice. Tense faults are very hard to correct: I try to choose them using all my knowledge but still make wrong decisions. What it takes, I guess, is more reading and listening.

A couple of notes:

- Is var/değil olduk wrong in every situation or in this case specifically?

It is wrong in every situation. Here is another example:

Mutlu değil olduğunu söyledi. (wrong)

Mutlu olmadığını söyledi. (correct)

- Why batacak but gidecek? Bitecek or bidecek? Yatacak or yadacak?

Most of the monosyllabic verbs don´t obey this rule. "gitmek" obeys "but "batmak" doesn´t." "bitmek" and "yatmak" also don´t obey. If I were you I wouldn´t soften the wovels of monosyllabic verbs if I wasn´t sure.

basima liked this message
8.       Abla
3648 posts
 11 Jul 2011 Mon 07:05 pm

I just came from the forest...

Blueberry Pie

B.

Recipe Ingredients

Dough:                                                                          Filling:

5 dl milk                                                                        1 liter blueberries
2 dl sugar                                                                       1 ½ dl sugar
50 g yeast                                                                      3 tbs potato starch
200 g butter or margarine
approximately 1 kg flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tbs ground cardamom

Recipe Cooking and Preparation Method

Dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, salt, cardamom and egg and stir ingredients together. Add half of the flour and knead into a soft dough. Mix the soft margarine or butter into the dough and add as much of the remaining flour as is needed. The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Cover the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel and prove in a warm place for approximately 30 minutes.
     Pour the dough onto a floured baking board, knead and roll out with a rolling pin into a thin sheet (slightly bigger than a baking tray). Place the sheet onto a baking tray covered with a greaseproof paper. Trim the edges. (From the extra dough you can form crosswise strips to decorate the top of the pie). Prove for 30 minutes.
     Mix together the blueberries, sugar and potato starch in a mixing bowl and pour the mixture onto the sheet. Raise the edges. Decorate the top of the pie with crosswise stripes. Brush the dough with a beaten egg. Bake the blueberry pie at 175 - 200 degrees Celsius for approximately 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

Yabanmersini böreği

Malzeme listesi:

HAMUR                                                                         DOLGU

5 dl süt                                                                            1 l yabanmersini

2 dl şeker                                                                        1,5 dl şeker

50 g maya                                                                      3 yemek kaşığı patates unu

yaklaşık 1 kg un                                                             

1 yumurta

1 çay kaşığı tuz

1 yemek kaşığı kakule

Yapılışı:

Mayayı çanakta ılık suya eritin. Șeker, tuz, kakule ile yumurtayı ilave edip malzemeleri karıştırın. Unun yarısı ilave edip karışımı yumuşak hamura yoğurun. Yumuşak margarineyi veya tereyağıyı hamura karıştırıp unun artakalmış yarısından ihtiyaca kadar ilave edin. Hamur çanaka veya parmaklarınıza aktık tutmadığı an hazırdır. Çanakı mutfak havluyla örtip hamuru ılık yerde yaklaşık 30 dakika kabarılın.

Hamuru unlu pişirme masanın üstüne aktarıp, yoğurup oklavayla ince levhanın şekile duvarlayın. (Levha yemek plakasından azıcık daha büyuk olmalı.) Levhayı pişirme kağıdıyla örtmiş yemek plakasına koyun. Kenanları düzleyin. Fazla olan hamurdan böreğin üzerine süs parmaklığı yapabilirsiniz. Levhayı tekrar 30 dakika kabarılın .

Yabanmersiniyi şeker ile patates unuyla çanakta karıştırıp karışım levhanın üzerine dökin. Kenarları bindirin. Böreğin yüzüyü parmaklığıyla süsleyin. Hamuru çırpmış yumurtayla boyayın. Yabanmersini böreğiyi 175-200 derecede yaklaşık 30 dakika kenar altın kahverengi olduğu kadar fırında pişirin.

nemanjasrb liked this message
9.       si++
3785 posts
 13 Jul 2011 Wed 01:20 pm

Quoting Abla

I just came from the forest...

Blueberry Pie

B.

Recipe Ingredients

Dough:                                                                          Filling:

5 dl milk                                                                        1 liter blueberries
2 dl sugar                                                                       1 ½ dl sugar
50 g yeast                                                                      3 tbs potato starch
200 g butter or margarine
approximately 1 kg flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tbs ground cardamom

Recipe Cooking and Preparation Method

Dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, salt, cardamom and egg and stir ingredients together. Add half of the flour and knead into a soft dough. Mix the soft margarine or butter into the dough and add as much of the remaining flour as is needed. The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Cover the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel and prove in a warm place for approximately 30 minutes.
     Pour the dough onto a floured baking board, knead and roll out with a rolling pin into a thin sheet (slightly bigger than a baking tray). Place the sheet onto a baking tray covered with a greaseproof paper. Trim the edges. (From the extra dough you can form crosswise strips to decorate the top of the pie). Prove for 30 minutes.
     Mix together the blueberries, sugar and potato starch in a mixing bowl and pour the mixture onto the sheet. Raise the edges. Decorate the top of the pie with crosswise stripes. Brush the dough with a beaten egg. Bake the blueberry pie at 175 - 200 degrees Celsius for approximately 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

Yabanmersini böreği

Malzeme listesi:

HAMUR                                                                         DOLGU

5 dl süt                                                                            1 l yabanmersini

2 dl şeker                                                                        1,5 dl şeker

50 g maya                                                                      3 yemek kaşığı patates unu

yaklaşık 1 kg un                                                             

1 yumurta

1 çay kaşığı tuz

1 yemek kaşığı kakule

Yapılışı:

Mayayı çanaktaki ılık suya sütte eritin. Șeker, tuz, kakule ile yumurtayı ilave edip (malzemeleri) karıştırın. Unun yarısı ilave edip karışımı yumuşak hamura hamur olana dek yoğurun. Yumuşak margarineyi margarini veya tereyağıyı tereyağını hamura karıştırıp unun artakalmış yarısından ihtiyaca kadar ilave edin (or kalanından gerektiği kadar ekleyin). Hamur çanaka çanağa veya parmaklarınıza aktık tutmadığı an yapışmadığı an hazırdır. Çanakı Çanağı mutfak havluyla havlusuyla örtip örtüp  hamuru ılık yerde yaklaşık 30 dakika kabarılın kabartın (kabarmasını bekleyin).

Hamuru unlu (un serpilmişpişirme masanın (bir yüzeyin) üstüne aktarıp, yoğurup oklavayla ince levhanın şekile duvarlayın ince yufkalar (yapraklar) şeklinde yuvarlayın. (Levha (yufka) yemek plakasından (tepsisinden/sinisinden) azıcık daha büyuk olmalı.) Levhayı pişirme kağıdıyla örtmiş örtülmüş yemek plakasına tepsiye koyun. Kenanları düzleyin (düzeltin). Fazla olan hamurdan böreğin üzerine süs parmaklığı yapabilirsiniz. Levhayı (yufkayı) tekrar 30 dakika kabarılın kabartın.

Yabanmersiniyi Yabanmersinini şeker ile patates unuyla bir çanakta karıştırıp karışım levhanın üzerine dökin dökün. Kenarları bindirin. Böreğin yüzüyü yüzünü parmaklığıyla parmaklarla süsleyin. Hamuru çırpmış çırpılmış yumurtayla boyayın. Yabanmersini böreğiyi böreğini 175-200 derecede yaklaşık 30 dakika kenar altın kahverengi olduğu olana kadar fırında pişirin.

10.       Abla
3648 posts
 13 Jul 2011 Wed 06:22 pm

Sağ olun, si++!

It´s always so red even if I try my best. I´ll be back after studying these.

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked