Practice Turkish

Add reply to this discussion
A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...  >>
100.       tunci
7149 posts
 16 Sep 2011 Fri 03:48 pm

2: Doesn´t it bother you when there are two dative words in a queue, like in Çocuk sigarayı bırakmaya çalışacağına söz vermek zorunda idi. What if there was still annesine before söz vermek?

Yes it does bother me abit, alternatively you can say;

Çocuk sigarayı bırakmaya çalışacağına dair annesine söz vermek zorundaydı.

dair = concerning, about

so we have still two dative case sorry..i like datives..it just sounds to my ear better..your sentence was not wrong but at first look this way sounded better to me.

lets check your sentence again;

The boy had to promise that he will try to stop smoking. Çocuk sigara içmekten vazgeçmeye çalışacağına söz vermek zorunda idi.

as I said thats not wrong..may be the "vazgeçmeye " bit  wasnt welcomed by my ears...

101.       tunci
7149 posts
 16 Sep 2011 Fri 04:07 pm

. Sometimes için takes -mek-infinitive with a possessive suffix and sometimes without, like in

İngilizceyi çevrimiçi [internette] öğretmek için

Silahlı kimse adam  hareket etmememiz için bizi uyardı.

What is the difference?

Lets look at your original translation ;

The man with the gun warned us not to move. Silahlı kimse hareket etmemizden uyardı

if we translate your translation into english that would be ;

the man with the gun warned us from our moving..--> that wouldnt make sense in english i guess.

we use "için" to join two action above, to warn and to move.

warned us to not to move ---> hareket etmememiz için --> the second "me" indicates "negative " its like " for us not to move "

another example ;

Partiye gitmememiz için bizi odaya kilitledi ---> He/she locked us in the room for us not to go to the party.

gitmememiz için --> for us not to go

102.       tunci
7149 posts
 16 Sep 2011 Fri 04:36 pm

Evin bulunması zor olabileceğini anlatıldık.

Lets start with literal analysing of your sentence ;

Evin bulunma---> its [house] being found

zor olabileceği ----> its [being found] being difficult

note ; there are three verbs or verb like situation here which are "bulunmak", " zor olmak " and " anlatılmak " so we need to take all verbs into consideration when we combine them. In other words we need to put appropriate endings to tie them up together.

So lets bit modify your sentence to make it right.

Evin bulunmasının zor olabileceği bize anlatıldı.[or "izah edildi"]

so what you missed was "nın" and what you put extra was "ni" [olabileceğini]

MarioninTurkey liked this message
103.       Abla
3648 posts
 16 Sep 2011 Fri 04:45 pm

tunci, I am not going to ask you anything any more because you answer so rigorously that it embarasses me. It´s all very clear.

What can I say? I hope the good you do will circle and you will find help when you need it.

You have written a kilometre now. Take a break.

104.       tunci
7149 posts
 16 Sep 2011 Fri 04:54 pm

I didnt mean to embarass you Abla..Sorry..{#emotions_dlg.sad}

105.       Abla
3648 posts
 27 Sep 2011 Tue 10:20 am

I tried small dialogues this time. The fragments are from my favourite comedy. It was a surprise to me how many questions of emphasis rose up in short lines.

I hope it´s not a big mess. This time I couldn´t use all my sources as much as usually because my present Internet connection is very vague.

Dennis the Menace, 1993 Afacan Dennis, 1993

Dennis: How old is this bed? Bu yatak ne kadar eskidir?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: It belonged to my mother. Annemin oldu.
Dennis: Where´s she sleeping now? Șimdi nerede uyuyor?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: She´s been gone for many years, Dennis. Çok yıldan beri gitmiş oldu, Dennis.
Dennis: On business? İşe mi?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: No, she´s in Heaven. Hayır, o cennettedir.
Dennis: Oh, there´s an awful lot of people in Heaven, especially old people. Ah, cennette aşırı çok insan var, özellikle yaşlı insan.

---------------------

George Wilson: Where are you going? Nereye gidiyorsun?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: [mad at him for his apathy] To make myself a cup of tea. [duykusuzluğu için onunla kızgın] Kendime bir bardak çay yapacağım.
George Wilson: I didn´t decree that we wouldn´t have children, Martha. It was out of both our hands. Çocuklarımız olmacağına karar veren ben değildim, Martha.  O ikimizin elinde değildi.
Mrs. Martha Wilson: This isn´t about having children or not having children, George. You missed the point. It´s about my feeling something very good and not being able to tell you about it. Konu çocuklarımız olmak veya çocuklarımız olmamak değil, George. Demek istediğimi kavramadın. Konu benim çok iyi bir şey duyup sana onu söylememektir.

------------------------

Henry Mitchell: [after hearing about Dennis shooting a pill in Mr. Wilson´s mouth] I´m Sorry about this morning. [Dennis’in Sayın Wilson’un ağızına bir hap vurduğunu öğrenmeden sonra] Sabahleyinkiden özür dilerim.
George Wilson: Your kid is driving me nuts. Oğlunuz beni deliliğe çıktırıyor.
Henry Mitchell: I´ll talk to him again. Onunla tekrar konuşacağım.
George Wilson: Maybe it isn´t talk that he needs. When my father had something to tell me, he told me with his belt. Belki konu değil ona ihtiyaçtır. Babam bir şey bana söylemek isterken kuşak yardımla söyledi.
Henry Mitchell: That´s not how I deal with my son, George. Ben çocuğuma bu biçimde davranmam, George bey.

-------------------------

Mrs. Martha Wilson: George, take Dennis´s suitcase up to the guest room, please. George, lütfen Dennis’in bavulunu yukarıya misafir yatak odasına götür.
George Wilson: He´s got arms. Onun kolları var.
Mrs. Martha Wilson: Don´t you start, dear. Sen başlanma, sevgilim.

---------------------------

Margaret: You guys are the boring ones. There´s lots to do. Siz sıkıcıdır. Çok yapacak var.
Dennis: Oh, really? Like what? Ah, gerçekten mi? Ne gibi?
Margaret: We could practice singing songs. Or put on a play, or a puppet show. Șarki söylemeye çalışabiliriz. Veya oyun sahneye koyup değilse kukla tiyatrosu yapabiliriz.
Joey: We could bury you alive. Seni canlı gömebiliriz.
Margaret: I could pound your face. Yüzlerini ezebilirim.

106.       si++
3785 posts
 27 Sep 2011 Tue 02:49 pm

Quoting Abla

I tried small dialogues this time. The fragments are from my favourite comedy. It was a surprise to me how many questions of emphasis rose up in short lines.

I hope it´s not a big mess. This time I couldn´t use all my sources as much as usually because my present Internet connection is very vague.

Dennis the Menace, 1993 Afacan Dennis, 1993

Dennis: How old is this bed? Bu yatak ne kadar eski(dir)?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: It belonged to my mother. Annemin oldu idi.
Dennis: Where´s she sleeping now? Șimdi nerede uyuyor?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: She´s been gone for many years, Dennis. Çok yıldan beri gitmiş oldu, Dennis. Gideli yıllar oldu, Dennis.
Dennis: On business? İşe mi?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: No, she´s in Heaven. Hayır, o cennettedir. Hayır cennnete.

Or if the previous question is "işte mi? then answer would be "Hayır, cennette".
Dennis: Oh, there´s an awful lot of people in Heaven, especially old people. Ah, cennette aşırı çok insan var, özellikle yaşlı insan.

---------------------

George Wilson: Where are you going? Nereye gidiyorsun?
Mrs. Martha Wilson: [mad at him for his apathy] To make myself a cup of tea. [duygusuzluğu için onunla ona kızgın bir şekilde] Kendime bir bardak çay yapacağım.
George Wilson: I didn´t decree that we wouldn´t have children, Martha. It was out of both our hands. Çocuklarımız olmayacağına karar veren ben değildim, Martha.  O ikimizin elinde değildi.
Mrs. Martha Wilson: This isn´t about having children or not having children, George. You missed the point. It´s about my feeling something very good and not being able to tell you about it. Konu çocuklarımızın olma veya (çocuklarımızın) olmama değil, George. Demek istediğimi kavramadın/anlamadın. Konu benim çok iyi bir şey duyup sana (onu) söylemememdir.

------------------------

Henry Mitchell: [after hearing about Dennis shooting a pill in Mr. Wilson´s mouth] I´m Sorry about this morning. [Dennis’in Sayın Wilson’un ağızına bir hap tıktığını öğrendikten sonra] SabahleyinkidenBu sabah için özür dilerim.
George Wilson: Your kid is driving me nuts. Oğlun(uz) beni deliliğe çıktırıyor delirtiyor/çıldırtıyor.
Henry Mitchell: I´ll talk to him again. Onunla tekrar konuşacağım.
George Wilson: Maybe it isn´t talk that he needs. When my father had something to tell me, he told me with his belt. Belki konu değil ona ihtiyaçtır ihtiyacı olan şey ona konuşman değildir. Babam bir şey bana söylemek isterken/isterse kuşak yardımla kuşağıyla/kemeriyle söylerdi.
Henry Mitchell: That´s not how I deal with my son, George. Ben çocuğuma bu o biçimde davranmam, George bey.

-------------------------

Mrs. Martha Wilson: George, take Dennis´s suitcase up to the guest room, please. George, lütfen Dennis’in bavulunu yukarıya misafir yatak odasına götür.
George Wilson: He´s got arms. Onun kolları var.
Mrs. Martha Wilson: Don´t you start, dear. Sen başlanma Gene başlama, sevgilim.

---------------------------

Margaret: You guys are the boring ones. There´s lots to do. Siz sıkıcıdır şeylersiniz. Çok yapacak var. Yapacak çok şey var.
Dennis: Oh, really? Like what? Ah, gerçekten mi? Ne gibi?
Margaret: We could practice singing songs. Or put on a play, or a puppet show. Șarki söylemeye çalışabiliriz. Veya oyun sahneye koyup değilse sahneye oyun koyabiliriz yada kukla tiyatrosu yapabiliriz.
Joey: We could bury you alive. Seni canlı gömebiliriz.
Margaret: I could pound your face. Yüzleriniünü ezebilirim.

Cheers!

107.       Abla
3648 posts
 27 Sep 2011 Tue 08:32 pm

Not my day. But very interesting corrections. Sağ olun, si++.

108.       Abla
3648 posts
 28 Sep 2011 Wed 08:44 am

Notes:

More concentration needed. Too many things in mind.

There are a lot of interesting things in these sentences. Beautiful language, in English also. Maybe that´s part of the reason why I love this movie.

There is not much to ask, I understand the corrections and regret my mistakes.

1. Babam bir şey bana söylemek isterse kuşağıyla söylerdi.  -  There is need to stress the habituality of the action or what?

2. You chose that Mr. Wilson uses 2nd person singular when he talks to his neighbour. If this was in Turkish culture, is it because he is older than the neighbour or is it because they have agreed about this? It doesn´t show in the lines but how do you think in this case Mr. Mitchell would address the old man? If you want to agree about an informal form of speech with someone how do you suggest it in Turkish? How do you accept it?

109.       si++
3785 posts
 28 Sep 2011 Wed 09:30 am

Quoting Abla

Notes:

More concentration needed. Too many things in mind.

There are a lot of interesting things in these sentences. Beautiful language, in English also. Maybe that´s part of the reason why I love this movie.

There is not much to ask, I understand the corrections and regret my mistakes.

1. Babam bir şey bana söylemek isterse kuşağıyla söylerdi.  -  There is need to stress the habituality of the action or what? Generic talk. Not a specific event. Yes we can say it was a habit.

2. You chose that Mr. Wilson uses 2nd person singular when he talks to his neighbour. If this was in Turkish culture, is it because he is older than the neighbour or is it because they have agreed about this? It doesn´t show in the lines but how do you think in this case Mr. Mitchell would address the old man? If you want to agree about an informal form of speech with someone how do you suggest it in Turkish? How do you accept it? I don´t know the characters well. If it is to be formal yes use 2nd pl. person

your face = yüzünü should be yüzünüzü

110.       Abla
3648 posts
 05 Oct 2011 Wed 11:55 am

Ifs and if nots:

1. Your pencils wouldn’t break if you packed your school bag more carefully. Okul torbasını daha dikkatle hazırlarsan, kalemlerin kıracaklar.

2. If Hülya closed the window it wouldn’t be so cold in the kitchen. Hülya pencereyi kapatırsa, mutfakta o kadar soğuk değildir.

3. If the girls went to bed earlier they wouldn’t yawn all through the lesson. Kızlar daha erken yatağa giderlerse, bütün ders boyunca esnemeyecekler.

4. If you spoke louder your classmates would understand what you are saying. Daha yüksek sesle konuşursan, sınıf arkadaşların söylediğini anlarlar.

5. The door will unlock if you press the green button. Yeşil düğmeye basarsanız, kapının kiliti açılacak.

6. If Özlem had asked her teacher he’d have answered all her questions. Özlem öğretmene sorsaydı, o tüm sorularına cevap verirdi.

7. I would call the office if I were you. Sen olsam yazıhaneye telefon edecektim.

8. If he hadn’t failed his driving exam his parents would have lent him their car. Sürme sınavında başarısız olmasaydı, ana babasi ona arabaları ödünç verirlerdi.

9. Would you go out more often if you didn’t have to do so much in the house? Evde o kadar çok şey yapman gerekir değilseydi, dişarıya daha sık çıkacaktın mı?

10. If he grew his own vegetables he wouldn’t have to buy them. Kendi sebzesini yetiştirirse, onu satın almaya onun ihtiyacı değil olacak.

11. If you didn’t exist I would have invented you. You would have been the same. I wouldn’t have changed a thing. Yoksaydin seni uydururdum. Aynı olurdun. Bir şey değişmedim.

12. If ever I would leave you it wouldn´t be in summer. Seeing you in summer I never would go. Seni bir daha bıraksam yazın olmayacak. Yazın seni görürken hiç gideceğim.

13. I’d be oh so wealthy with treasures untold
If teardrops were pennies and heartaches were gold.
Gözyaşları fenikler ve kalp acıları altın olsaydı,
anlatmayacak gömüler sahip gibi zengin olurdum.

14. If I should stay I would only be in your way. Kalsaydım, yolunda olacağım yalnızca.

15. Would you care for me if I was deaf and blind, would you hear my voice if I was always quiet? Sağır ile kör olsam benle ilgilenecektin, hep sessiz olsam sesimi işitecektin mi?

16. Would you mind if I came in and talked to you? Girip seninle konuşursam olur mu?

Edited (10/5/2011) by Abla

Prashantsharma liked this message
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked
Major Vowel Harmony

Turkish lesson by admin
Level: beginner
Introduction

Turkish lesson by admin
Level: beginner