Practice Turkish

Add reply to this discussion
A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ...  >>
80.       Abla
3648 posts
 02 Sep 2011 Fri 11:45 am

Ah, the English sentence is careless (Finnish influence, we just drive anything that has wheels). Maybe it´s not drive and ride which are different but sürmek and binmek. One takes the vehicle as the direct object and the other is content with a dative complement. Perhaps this difference is the reason, who knows.

Besides, the moped here is not the usual object of riding. The fact that it was "ridden there and abandoned" in the course of the same action may change something.

Edited (9/2/2011) by Abla

81.       tunci
7149 posts
 02 Sep 2011 Fri 12:04 pm

in English as you said you drive almost anything that has wheels [except bike,motorbike..], or we alternatively say " use " also.

Araba kullanıyorum şu an ---> [ Literally " I am using the car at the moment ] that means "I am driving [the car] at the moment.

when it comes to "binmek " its more like " to get on [vehicle ]

Otobüse bin ---> get on the bus.

Trene bin ve buraya gel ---> Get on [take] the train and come here.

binmek also used for "to ride horse,donkey,camel "

Bugün ata bineceğim ---> I will ride a horse today.

Edited (9/2/2011) by tunci

Abla liked this message
82.       si++
3785 posts
 02 Sep 2011 Fri 12:21 pm

Quoting Abla

Ah, the English sentence is careless (Finnish influence, we just drive anything that has wheels). Maybe it´s not drive and ride which are different but sürmek and binmek. One takes the vehicle as the direct object and the other is content with a dative complement. Perhaps this difference is the reason, who knows.

Besides, the moped here is not the usual object of riding. The fact that it was "ridden there and abandoned" in the course of the same action may change something.

Greetings Abla,

I think I was misled. I actually use dative:

X-e binmek.

Polis, onun mopedine yolun dışında kendisinin binip binmediğini bilmek istiyor.

And locative is for "out of the road" (yolun dışında) with which dative wouldn´t make sense.

83.       MarioninTurkey
6124 posts
 06 Sep 2011 Tue 12:54 pm

Quoting si++

15. The place where the moped and the helmet were found was checked carefully. Mopediyle miğfer Mopedle miğferin bulunduğu yer dikkatle kontrol edildi.

It is not 100% clear from the context, but miğfer is a helmet that warriors used to wear in the past. Kask is a helmet that motorcyclists and cyclists use. I would guess we mean crash-helmet, and so "kask"

84.       Abla
3648 posts
 06 Sep 2011 Tue 01:20 pm

It was nice of you to look at my posts, MarioninTurkey. As for the wrong terms, I try my best to avoid them. When a dictionary gives me many alternatives I google the words and images in many ways and often find myself in strange places, like second-hand car advertisements (where I found the patlıcan coloured Lada) and mail order catalogues. The problem is that sometimes I first have to find the correct word in English. There are many chances to go wrong. But it´s all nice practice.

85.       Abla
3648 posts
 08 Sep 2011 Thu 02:02 pm

Expressions of time mostly and some mixed stuff:

1.      I washed the dishes when my daughter fell asleep. Kızım uykuya daldığında bulaşıkları yıkadım.

2.      We won’t be able to finish the painting before he arrives. O varmadan önce boyamayı tamamlamayacağız.

3.      I have played tennis since I was a young boy. Çocuk oldum olalı tenis oynuyorum.

4.      Even though it was expensive, he bought the leather jacket. Pahalı olmasına rağmen deri cekedini satın aldı.

5.      The first time I went to Cairo, I was intimidated by the city. Kahire’ye ilk kez gittiğimde şehir ile korkutuldum.

6.      The second time I played tennis, I began to have fun. İkinci kez tenis oynuyorken zevk almaya başlattım.

7.      When my older sister called and apologised for being late, the family had already eaten lunch. Ablam geç kaldığıma pişmanım diye aradiği zaman aile halen öğle yemeğini bitirmedi.

8.      While I was doing my homework my sister tried to catch the cat which had run away. Ben ev ödevimi yapıyorken kız kardeşim kaçmış olan kediyi tutmaya çalışıyordu.

9.      We won’t have finished our work by the time their train arrives. Trenleri varmadan önce işimizi bitirmeyecekmişiz.

10.  As soon as I hear from Hasan, I will give you a telephone call. Hasan’dan haber alır almaz sene telefon edeceğim.

11.  Whereas you have lots of time to watch TV, I have very little time indeed. Senin televizyon seyretmek için çok zamanın varken benim gerçekten az zamanım var.

12.  Meryem is rich while I am poor. Meryem zengin oysa ben yoksulum.

13.  Our son had to leave early since his train left at 8.30. Treni 8.30’de ayrıldığından dolayı oğlumuz erken terketmeliydi.

14.  I´m studying hard because I want to pass my exam. Sınavımı vermek için çok öğreniyorum.

15.  As long as you stay in town, why don´t you come for dinner? Șehirde kaldığın sürece akşam yemek için neden gelmezsin?

16.  He works a lot of overtime because his rent is so expensive. Kira bedeli o kadar pahalı olduğu için fazla mesai yapıyor.

17.  He will tell us as soon as he decides if they are going to come or not. Gelip gelmeyecekleri kararını verir vermek bize söyleyecek.

18.  By the time he finished the phone call, I was fed up with waiting. O telefon konuşmasını bitirmeden önce beklemekten bıktım.

19.  Look at the signed in users many of whom have some strange text in their profiles. Çoğunun profillerinde tuhaf bir yazı bulunduklar girmiş olan kullanıcılara bakın.

86.       si++
3785 posts
 08 Sep 2011 Thu 03:50 pm

Quoting Abla

Expressions of time mostly and some mixed stuff:

1.      I washed the dishes when my daughter fell asleep. Kızım uykuya daldığında dalınca bulaşıkları yıkadım.

"daldığında = at the time she fell asleep" sounds better for telling something happening at exactly that time (not after)

2.      We won’t be able to finish the painting before he arrives. O varmadan önce boyamayı tamamlayamayacağız.

O gelmeden önce boya(ma)yı bitiremeyeceğiz.

3.      I have played tennis since I was a young boy. Çocuk oldum olalı tenis oynuyorum. (oldum olalı = ever since I was)

Çocukluğumdan beri tenis oynarım.

4.      Even though it was expensive, he bought the leather jacket. Pahalı olmasına rağmen deri cekedini cekedi satın aldı. (deri is an adjective here so we don´t need possessive suffix)

5.      The first time I went to Cairo, I was intimidated by the city. Kahire’ye ilk kez gittiğimde şehir ile tarafından korkutuldum.

Kahire´ye ilk gidişimde, şehir beni ürküttü. (active voice sound better in Turkish)

6.      The second time I played tennis, I began to have fun. İkinci kez tenis oynuyorken/oynarken zevk almaya başlattım başladım.

7.      When my older sister called and apologised for being late, the family had already eaten lunch. Ablam geç kaldığıma pişmanım diye aradiği zaman aile halen öğle yemeğini bitirmedi. (Nope)

Ablam arayıp geç kaldığı için özür dilediğinde, aile öğle yemeğini bitirmişti.

8.      While I was doing my homework my sister tried to catch the cat which had run away. Ben ev ödevimi yapıyorken/yaparken kız kardeşim kaçmış olan (or kaçan) kediyi tutmaya çalışıyordu.

9.      We won’t have finished our work by the time their train arrives. Trenleri varmadan önce işimizi bitirmeyecekmişiz bitiremeyeceğiz/bitirmiş olamayacağız.

10.  As soon as I hear from Hasan, I will give you a telephone call. Hasan’dan haber alır almaz sene* telefon edeceğim.

*"sana" in İstanbul Turkish but it´s "sene" in my dialect (I couldn´t overstrike it).

11.  Whereas you have lots of time to watch TV, I have very little time indeed. Senin televizyon seyretmek için çok zamanın varken benim gerçekten az zamanım var.

12.  Meryem is rich while I am poor. Meryem zengin oysa ben yoksulum.

13.  Our son had to leave early since his train left at 8.30. Treni 8.30’de ayrıldığından/kalktığından dolayı oğlumuz erken terketmeliydi/gitmeliydi.

14.  I´m studying hard because I want to pass my exam. Sınavımı vermekgeçmek için çok öğreniyorumçalışıyorum.

15.  As long as you stay in town, why don´t you come for dinner? Șehirde kaldığın sürece akşam yemek/yemeği için neden gelmezsin?

akşam yemek için = to eat in the evening

akşam yemeği için = for the dinner

16.  He works a lot of overtime because his rent is so expensive. Kira bedeli o kadar pahalı olduğu için fazla mesai yapıyor.

Kira bedeli o kadar çok yüksek ki fazla mesai yapıyor.

17.  He will tell us as soon as he decides if they are going to come or not. Gelip gelmeyecekleri kararını verir vermekvermez bize söyleyecek.

18.  By the time he finished the phone call, I was fed up with waiting. O telefon konuşmasını bitirmeden öncebitirene kadar/bitirdiğinde beklemekten bıktımbıkmıştım.

19.  Look at the signed in users many of whom have some strange text in their profiles. Çoğunun profillerinde tuhaf bir yazı bulunduklar girmiş olan kullanıcılara bakın. (Nope)

Çoğunun profillerinde garip yazılar bulunan şu çevrimiçi kullanıcılara bak. (This my sentence, right?)

Cheers!

Edited (9/8/2011) by si++ [başlattım -> başladım]

87.       Abla
3648 posts
 08 Sep 2011 Thu 04:13 pm

It seems to be one step forward and two steps back for me. It´s good that you drop me down once a week because too much pride is an obstacle to learning.

I have a file in Word where I throw interesting sentences whenever I find them and it seems that your sentence ended up in the same pile. See, I couldn´t return it back to the form it was in your head.

I´ll chew the feedback for a while and maybe come back with some questions. Sağ olun, si++!

88.       si++
3785 posts
 08 Sep 2011 Thu 04:43 pm

Quoting Abla

It seems to be one step forward and two steps back for me. It´s good that you drop me down once a week because too much pride is an obstacle to learning.

I have a file in Word where I throw interesting sentences whenever I find them and it seems that your sentence ended up in the same pile. See, I couldn´t return it back to the form it was in your head.

I´ll chew the feedback for a while and maybe come back with some questions. Sağ olun, si++!

Not that bad! maybe it´s 2 forward and 1 back. Keep on.

89.       Abla
3648 posts
 08 Sep 2011 Thu 09:29 pm

Notes:

1. Expressions of time are difficult. The differences are small and in many sentences I can’t give reasons why I chose to prefer one to another. I thought to myself that maybe –diğinde is the kind of general ‘when’ which can’t go very much wrong but I’m not sure.

2. Kahire’ye ilk kez gittiğimde şehir ile tarafından korkutuldum. 

> Kahire´ye ilk gidişimde, şehir beni ürküttü.

* I knew that there is an –iş-infinitive in Turkish but for the first time I see a place where it is needed.

* Ok, you say active voice is better but a question rises from the agent of this passive sentence. But I wonder what happened to şehir before it could turn into an agent. I mean if we change

Köpek|ten korktu

into a causative clause, is it really going to be

Köpek korkuttu

where the dog is a real subject? (So it seems when I look at it now. I guess I hereby explained the causative to myself.)

3. akşam yemek için = to eat in the evening 

akşam yemeği için = for the dinner

I guess I understood this now: the latter is izafet + için, and yemek in the previous one is understood as a verb, isn’t it? Actually it is a simple but amazing example of what a little possessive suffix can do.

4. çevrimiçi ‘online’ is an adjective, isn’t it, ‘the one who is in the circle’? And ‘offline’ is çevrimdışı. Of course.

5. The most frustrating mistakes which I think I shouldn’t be repeating any more are those in morphology.  Like the dative sg. 2. personal pronoun  sene. I’m glad it delighted you, si++.

Edited (9/8/2011) by Abla

90.       Mavili
236 posts
 09 Sep 2011 Fri 01:40 am

Quote:

While I was doing my homework my sister tried to catch the cat which had run away. Ben ev ödevimi yapıyorken/yaparken kız kardeşim kaçmış olan (or kaçan) kediyi tutmaya çalışıyordu.

Hi Abla{#emotions_dlg.bye} I think you are doing great, I think soon, you´ll be firing off perfect translations here and coaching Turkish like a breeze. I am inspired by your enthusiasm.

I hope you don´t mind me posting to here. But your sentences inspired a questionSmileunderstand the -ken/-kan suffix is for saying "while/whilst". And in your example, its for a verb "ödevimi yaparken". 

Can you use that suffix for location? An example in English;

"While you were at the cafe, your mother called."

While I am on the bus, I like to read.

Both are interchangeble, and don´t loose the context when you swap the clauses, but would you use -ken here or treat -while as a preposition with -den önce ?

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most commented