Turkish Class Forums / Turkey

Turkey

Add reply to this discussion
Moderators: libralady, sonunda
Quo vadis, Turkey?
1.       Mushin
64 posts
 27 Jul 2017 Thu 05:04 pm

Evolution will no longer be taught in Turkish schools, a senior education official has said, in a move likely to raise the ire of the country’s secular opposition.

Alpaslan Durmu, who chairs the board of education, said evolution was debatable, controversial and too complicated for students.

“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension,” said Durmu in a video published on the education ministry’s website.

Durmu said a chapter on evolution was being removed from ninth grade biology course books, and the subject postponed to the undergraduate period. Another change to the curriculum may reduce the amount of time that students spend studying the legacy of secularism.

Critics of the government believe public life is being increasingly stripped of the secular traditions instilled by the nation’s founder, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

The secular opposition has long argued that the government of Recep Tayyip Erdoan is pursuing a covert Islamist agenda contrary to the republic’s founding values. Education is a particularly contentious avenue, because of its potential in shaping future generations. Small-scale protests by parents in local schools have opposed the way religion is taught.

There is little acceptance of evolution as a concept among mainstream Muslim clerics in the Middle East, who believe it contradicts the story of creation in scripture, in which God breathed life into the first man, Adam, after shaping him from clay. Still, evolution is briefly taught in many high school biology courses in the region.

Source: theguardian

Edited (7/30/2017) by Mushin [Title has been renamed]
Edited (8/1/2017) by Mushin

2.       Mushin
64 posts
 30 Jul 2017 Sun 12:04 pm

No wikipedia in Turkey since April 2017.

This is like not allowing your kid to go to school because you think there are some inadequate things (in your opinion) written on a clipboard in that school.

3.       Mushin
64 posts
 01 Aug 2017 Tue 10:32 am

Turkish schools to teach children the ´concept of JIHAD´

4.       Mushin
64 posts
 05 Jan 2018 Fri 03:09 pm

Quoting Mushin

No wikipedia in Turkey since April 2017.

This is like not allowing your kid to go to school because you think there are some inadequate things (in your opinion) written on a clipboard in that school.

I had completely forgot about wikipedia. I gave it a try to it today and to my surprise, it worked. I can access to wikipedia again...

I don´t know if it will stay to be accessible or it is a temporary thing as a result of a mistake by authorities.

How embarassing for Turkey...

5.       harp00n
3979 posts
 05 Jan 2018 Fri 06:37 pm

www.0wikipedia.com

Try it...

6.       harp00n
3979 posts
 05 Jan 2018 Fri 06:37 pm

www.0wikipedia.com

Try it...

7.       Mushin
64 posts
 06 Jan 2018 Sat 09:25 am

Quoting harp00n

www.0wikipedia.com

Try it...

Currently it´s still working. No need to put someone in the middle when a direct access is available.

8.       Leo S
163 posts
 08 Jan 2018 Mon 10:57 am

Edited (1/8/2018) by Leo S [wrong thread]

9.       Mushin
64 posts
 26 Feb 2018 Mon 11:19 am

A court has decided some words believed to be deragotory for women be removed from TDK dictionary.

Weird thing is the decison was taken with 2 votes by 2 men versus 1 vote by a woman of the court.

Turkish text of the news as follows:

Halkevleri Ebakan覺 Dilat Akta, 2015’te TDK’n覺n yay覺nlad覺覺 Türkçe sözlüklerde ve internet sayfas覺nda, ‘müsait’, ‘boyal覺’, ‘yollu’, ‘taze’, ‘kötülemek’, ‘oynak’, ‘kötü yola dümek’, ‘teslim etmek’, ‘esnaf’, ‘serbest’ gibi kelimelerin argo anlamlar覺n覺n cinsiyet ayr覺mc覺l覺覺na dayal覺 aa覺lay覺c覺 ve küçük düürücü ifadeler içerdiini belirterek, argo kar覺l覺klar覺n sözlükten ç覺kar覺lmas覺n覺 talep etti.

TDK, bavuruyu reddetti. Akta da avukat覺 Sevinç Hocaoullar覺 arac覺l覺覺yla TDK’n覺n ret karar覺n覺n iptali için Ankara 6. 襤dare Mahkemesi’ne dava açt覺.

Mahkeme oy çokluuyla, bu sözcüklerin argo anlamlar覺n覺n sözlükten ç覺kar覺lmas覺na karar verdi. Kararda, “Toplumsal cinsiyetçilik içeren kelime yap覺lar覺na çal覺malar覺nda yer vermemesi, daval覺 idarenin uluslararas覺 ve ulusal normlardan kaynaklanan görevidir.

Dava konusu kelimelerin argo anlamlar覺n覺n, Türkçe’nin ticari hayatta, kitle iletiim araçlar覺nda, eitim ve öretim kurumlar覺nda ve sosyal hayat覺n dier alanlar覺nda doru ve güzel kullan覺lmas覺 hususunda öncü görevi üstlenen Türk Dil Kurumu’nun sözlüünde ve internet sayfas覺nda yer almas覺n覺n hukuka uygun olmad覺覺 sonucuna var覺lm覺t覺r” denildi.

KADIN ÜYE KARI ÇIKTI

Mahkemenin iki erkek üyesi kad覺n覺 aa覺lad覺覺, küçük düürdüü savunulan argo anlamlar覺n sözlüklerden ç覺kar覺lmas覺 yönünde oy kullan覺rken, mahkemenin kad覺n üyesi ise kar覺 ç覺karak kar覺 oy yaz覺s覺 yazd覺.

Kad覺n üye, kar覺 oy yaz覺s覺nda “Bu ifadelerin kad覺nlara ayr覺mc覺l覺k yapmak gibi veya söz konusu ifadeler ile kad覺na iddet uygulanmas覺na zemin haz覺rlanmas覺 gibi bir amaç güdülmediinden tesis edilen dava konusu ilemde hukuka ayk覺r覺l覺k bulunmad覺覺 görüü ile aksi yönde oluan çounluk karar覺na kat覺lm覺yorum” dedi.

Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
E-T
og2009: çok ... ederim, Leo.
E to T: You have a preconceived notion
Leo S: You have a ... notion of who I am or who I might be without even knowi...
E to T: You are projecting your fears, neg...
Leo S: You are projecting your fears, negative ... upon me; your experience i...
E to T: You are entitled to your opinion
Leo S: You are entitled to your opinion, I will take it into ... when making ...
Free Turkish vocabulary book
qdemir: You can get ... Vocabulary Booster: Word formation in ... free at ... ...
T-E
og2009: ... Some writers like F.Kafka and some wise men say ... can ...
E to T: car parking spot
scalpel - -: Sence bakas覺 ne zaman park eder buraya? u yak覺ndan bir ...
E to T: boring question
Leo S: I find that to be the most boring question - ... you ask me anything o...
T to E please
harp00n: You are welcome.
What´s the difference between a resi...
natiypuspi: Mahal, in Taj Mahal, means Palace.
E-T: I´m after a month by month non-...
gokuyum: Ben bir y覺l ... ayl覺k ... ve ... anlama yapmak istiyorum. T&...
ne demek?
gokuyum: "
Random Pictures of Turkey
Add thumbnails like this to your site
Most commented