Language

Add reply to this discussion
Assistance with parsing the sentence syntactically
1.       jbionic
7 posts
 20 Jan 2018 Sat 08:29 pm

Please read the following text:

Quote:

Doğma büyüme Teksas´lı Alice Star Afrika´daki aç insanlar yararına Los Angeles stadyumunda çok büyük bir konser veriyordu. Konserin ortasında bilinmeyen bir gezegenden gelen uzay yaratıkları tarafından bir uçan daireye alınmış ve kaçırılmıştı. Alice Star’ın hayranları bu olayı büyülenmiş gözlerle izlemişler, sonra da ne olup bittiğini tartışmaya başlamışlardı.

[Hayranları]Alice Star´ı bir ışın demetine sararak sahnenin ortasından hüüp diye alıp bir uçandaire içine çeken, bugüne kadar görülmemiş bu tekniğin nasıl sağlanabildiği üzerine, olur olmaz akıllar yürütüyor; hayranlıktan büyülenmiş, kendinden geçmiş bir biçimde bağıra çağıra tartışıyorlardı.

Below is the translation

Quote:

Alice Star, born and raised a Texan, was giving a very big concert in a Los Angeles stadium benefiting hungry people in Africa. In the middle of the concert she was kidnapped and taken into a spaceship by aliens from an unknown planet. Her fans watched this event with great fascination; then they began to discuss what had happened.
[Her fans] were offering all kinds of explanations for how it could be possible to wrap Alice Star up in rays of light and instantly suck her up from the middle of the stage into the spaceship. After all, such a feat had never been seen before. Stunned and thrilled with admiration, they were arguing and carrying on.

I have 2 questions about the text:

I. I need help with parsing the very last (and long) sentence. The main difficulty for me is Turkish syntax, which makes it difficult to comprehend how different parts of a sentence are interlocked with each other via affixes (I strive to understand which word is an object for which word, which word belongs to description of which word)

My way of parsing the last sentence is as follows:
1. The fascinated fans argued = hayranlıktan büyülenmiş tartışıyorlardı
2. The way they argued (how they argued?) was bir biçimde bağıra çağıra
3. The subject of their argument was regarding (bu tekniğin nasıl sağlanabildiği üzerine)
4. The technique (bu tekniğin nasıl) concerned what?
4.1.Alice Star´ı bir ışın demetine sararak sahnenin ortasından = as Alice Star were wrapped up by a ray from the mid of stage
4.2.bir uçandaire içine çeken, bugüne kadar görülmemiş = (the ray) sucking into the spaceship till she entirely disappeared from the view

My understanding is that <çeken> is the participle related to bir ışın = a ray. But I dont understand whether bir ışın is subjected to any action as an object by any other member of the sentence?

I still find my way of parsing is somewhat incomplete and would be grateful if someone could explain the missing syntactical linkage between the words.

II. Is there only one way to write the last sentence in Turkish? Or is it possible to write the sentence differently by moving and re-arranging its words?

Edited (1/20/2018) by jbionic

2.       Mushin
71 posts
 21 Jan 2018 Sun 03:26 pm

Quoting jbionic

Please read the following text:

Quote:

Doğma büyüme Teksas´lı Alice Star Afrika´daki aç insanlar yararına Los Angeles stadyumunda çok büyük bir konser veriyordu. Konserin ortasında bilinmeyen bir gezegenden gelen uzay yaratıkları tarafından bir uçan daireye alınmış ve kaçırılmıştı. Alice Star’ın hayranları bu olayı büyülenmiş gözlerle izlemişler, sonra da ne olup bittiğini tartışmaya başlamışlardı. [Hayranları]Alice Star´ı bir ışın demetine sararak sahnenin ortasından hüüp diye alıp bir uçandaire içine çeken, bugüne kadar görülmemiş bu tekniğin nasıl sağlanabildiği üzerine, olur olmaz akıllar yürütüyor; hayranlıktan büyülenmiş, kendinden geçmiş bir biçimde bağıra çağıra tartışıyorlardı.

Below is the translation

Quote:

Alice Star, born and raised a Texan, was giving a very big concert in a Los Angeles stadium benefiting hungry people in Africa. In the middle of the concert she was kidnapped and taken into a spaceship by aliens from an unknown planet. Her fans watched this event with great fascination; then they began to discuss what had happened. [Her fans] were offering all kinds of explanations for how it could be possible to wrap Alice Star up in rays of light and instantly suck her up from the middle of the stage into the spaceship. After all, such a feat had never been seen before. Stunned and thrilled with admiration, they were arguing and carrying on.

I have 2 questions about the text: I. I need help with parsing the very last (and long) sentence. The main difficulty for me is Turkish syntax, which makes it difficult to comprehend how different parts of a sentence are interlocked with each other via affixes (I strive to understand which word is an object for which word, which word belongs to description of which word) My way of parsing the last sentence is as follows: 1. The fascinated fans argued = hayranlıktan büyülenmiş tartışıyorlardı 2. The way they argued (how they argued?) was bir biçimde bağıra çağıra 3. The subject of their argument was regarding (bu tekniğin nasıl sağlanabildiği üzerine) 4. The technique (bu tekniğin nasıl) concerned what? 4.1.Alice Star´ı bir ışın demetine sararak sahnenin ortasından = as Alice Star were wrapped up by a ray from the mid of stage 4.2.bir uçandaire içine çeken, bugüne kadar görülmemiş = (the ray) sucking into the spaceship till she entirely disappeared from the view My understanding is that <çeken> is the participle related to bir ışın = a ray. But I dont understand whether bir ışın is subjected to any action as an object by any other member of the sentence? I still find my way of parsing is somewhat incomplete and would be grateful if someone could explain the missing syntactical linkage between the words. II. Is there only one way to write the last sentence in Turkish? Or is it possible to write the sentence differently by moving and re-arranging its words?

OK here´s my try:

[Hayranları]Alice Star´ı bir ışın demetine sararak sahnenin ortasından hüüp diye alıp bir uçandaire içine çeken, bugüne kadar görülmemiş bu tekniğin nasıl sağlanabildiği üzerine, olur olmaz akıllar yürütüyor; hayranlıktan büyülenmiş, kendinden geçmiş bir biçimde bağıra çağıra tartışıyorlardı.

Bold part is related to "bu teknik" this technic.

Simplify it by dropping:

[Hayranları] bu tekniğin nasıl sağlanabildiği üzerine, olur olmaz akıllar yürütüyor; hayranlıktan büyülenmiş, kendinden geçmiş bir biçimde bağıra çağıra tartışıyorlardı.

And the bold part can be translated this way:

This technic that makes it possible to wrap Alice Star up in rays of light and instantly suck her up from the middle of the stage into the spaceship

Hope this helps...

3.       jbionic
7 posts
 21 Jan 2018 Sun 04:58 pm

Thanks. Just to clarify:

1. Is it (bir ışın) or (bir uçandaire) that is sucking = (çeken)?
2. Do (alıp = alan AND) and (çeken) both describe the same object, which is either (bir ışın) or (bir uçandaire)?

Edited (1/21/2018) by jbionic

4.       Mushin
71 posts
 21 Jan 2018 Sun 06:25 pm

Quoting jbionic

Thanks. Just to clarify: 1. Is it (bir ışın) or (bir uçandaire) that is sucking = (çeken)? 2. Do (alıp = alan AND) and (çeken) both describe the same object, which is either (bir ışın) or (bir uçandaire)?

1. No it´s "the technic" that sucks. "ışın" and "uçandaire" both are objects in the inner clause. Subject of that inner clause is "this technic".

2. Yes. An their object is Alice Star.

5.       jbionic
7 posts
 21 Jan 2018 Sun 07:02 pm

Thank you, Mushin, for your help.
That´s what I like about Turkish language Because until a native Turkish speaker explains how things are understood, one may be contemplating a sentence for hours in a search of hidden connections between the sacred words, especially when it comes to reading a long Turkish sentence. So no matter how knowledgeable one is in Turkish grammar, it just doesn´t help much if one cannot see the connection between 2 words that sometimes are found within 10 words from each other in the opposite ends of a sentence.

6.       S.S.K. La
10 posts
 23 Jun 2019 Sun 07:35 pm

İf you think this is even remotely complicated to understand, listen to Ramiz Dayı´s poems or pattern of talking. After a long time, İ got used to it, but in the beggining his Turkish is a bit strange. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked