2040 posts
 20 Feb 2013 Wed 10:37 am

ağlama artık....{#emotions_dlg.koffie}

101.       AlphaF
5677 posts
 20 Feb 2013 Wed 10:45 am

Quoting gokuyum

I dont like watching belly dancing men. Am I too old fashioned?Cry

That is what you will end up with, if you allow  people put a wall between you and your women. Funnier things are known to happen !  

102.       alameda
3499 posts
 21 Feb 2013 Thu 10:21 pm

Like this? I was shocked when I saw this Dancing Boys of Afghanistan...I wonder how widespread this is, is this true? Beware, this is a very shocking and upsetting video. 

Quoting AlphaF

That is what you will end up with, if you allow  people put a wall between you and your women. Funnier things are known to happen !  

Edited (2/21/2013) by alameda [add]

103.       ikicihan
1127 posts
 22 Feb 2013 Fri 04:23 am

Quoting alameda

Like this? I was shocked when I saw this Dancing Boys of Afghanistan...I wonder how widespread this is, is this true? Beware, this is a very shocking and upsetting video. 

it is said that when alexander the great captured afganistan area, this tradition passed from greeks/makedons (whoever the soldiers are) to that local area. origin is not much important but i am amazed when people comment like "muslims are like that..." etc over internet.

Hadiths from Muhammad (pbuh) shows the islamic point of view.

1631. Ibn ´Abbas said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, cursed effeminate men and masculine women."

In one variant, "The Messenger of Allah cursed men who made themselves look like women and women who made themselves look like men." [al-Bukhari]

1632. Abu Hurayra said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, cursed any man who wears women´s clothes and any woman who wears men´s clothes." [Abu Dawud]

Source: Riyad as-Salihin by Imam Nawawi

104.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 22 Feb 2013 Fri 06:04 am

Quoting ikicihan

it is said that when alexander the great captured afganistan area, this tradition passed from greeks/makedons (whoever the soldiers are) to that local area. origin is not much important but i am amazed when people comment like "muslims are like that..." etc over internet.

1631. Ibn ´Abbas said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, cursed effeminate men and masculine women."

In one variant, "The Messenger of Allah cursed men who made themselves look like women and women who made themselves look like men." [al-Bukhari]

1632. Abu Hurayra said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, cursed any man who wears women´s clothes and any woman who wears men´s clothes." [Abu Dawud]

Here comes another discussion.

105.       ikicihan
1127 posts
 22 Feb 2013 Fri 06:20 am

Quoting gokuyum

Here comes another discussion.

discussions are good, we learn a lot from them, as long as it does not evolve to a furious fight. just keep your level.

106.       alameda
3499 posts
 23 Feb 2013 Sat 02:20 pm

While it is true, Greece was a pederastic society. Read about it here. This pracice appears to have been practiced to some degree in the Ottoman period, Köçek dancers. These practices appear to be very much related to the isolation and seclusion of women from society. 

Quoting ikicihan

107.       Totief
3 posts
 23 Feb 2013 Sat 06:36 pm

Quoting Abla

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/kultur-sanat/haber/20172589.asp

´İstanbul´ ismi nereden geliyor

Sibel Ertürk Kurtoğlu / A.A

----------------------------------------

I read an interesting article about the origin of the city name Istanbul. The views of Halin Dursun, the historian and director of Hagia Sofia museum were explained in the article.

During its 8500 year-old history Istanbul was known with so many names. The ancient Greek called it Byzantion. In 337 it was named Constantinople in order to honor the Roman Emperor Constantine I. The discussion about how the city should be called began only after it was conquered by the Ottomans. As the center of an Islamic Caliphate it was called “Darülhilafe” and as the center of the Empire the naming “Makarrı Saltanat” was preferred. The name Constantinople survived, though, until 1930 when Kemal Atatürk ordered the name Istanbul to be used internationally. During centuries, aside with the official names, local people chose their naming on a more practical basis: for instance, for those who lived further from the centre, Istanbul ment only the area which was inside the city walls.

In a charming way, Dursun explains the simultaneous coexistence of different names with the hospitality and self-esteem of the city which tolerated this colorful diversity.

The name Istanbul is no more Turkish origin than Constantinople. It is an old folksy name that probably originates from Greek words stan and polis, both of them from a root that means ‘city’:

“Tonguç, “Neden ´Stanpolis´ demişler? Çünkü buraya gelen insanlar, yolda şehri sorarlarmış, ´Şehre nasıl gidebiliriz?´ diye. O yüzden de şehrin adı ´Stanpolis´ olarak kalmış ve zamanla İstanbul´a dönüşmüş” dedi.” ‘Tonguç said: “Why did they use the word ‘Stanpolis’? Because people who were coming here used to ask about the city on the road saying: “How can we get to the city? That’s why the name of the city became Stanpolis and in the long run changed into Istanbul.’

Saffet Emre Tonguç, a writer and historian, reminds of the foreign roots of the name Constantinople also:

“…Saffet Emre Tonguç, Türk insanının, şehrin Rum ya da Yunan geçmişini hatırlattığı gerekçesiyle Konstantinopolis ismini sevmediğini ifade ederek, “Asıl Rumca´dan gelen isim İstanbul. İmparator Konstantin Roma´dan gelerek şehri kuruyor ve kendi adını veriyor. Aslında adam İtalyan ve Rumca tek kelime bilmiyor” diye konuştu.” ‘Saffet Emre Tonguç said, while explaining that Turks don’t like the name Constantinople on account of the fact that it reminds of the Roman and Greek past of the city: “Istanbul is a name that comes from ancient Greek. Emperor Constantine comes from Rome, establishes a city and gives it his own name. Actually the man is Italian and he doesn’t speak a word of Greek.”’

The article says there has been discussion on whether the Turkish name of Istanbul should be spelled with dotted or undotted initial letter. In Halin Dursun’s opinion, there are more important things to take care of:

“Doğrusunun hangi kelime olduğu üzerinde durmadığını vurgulayan Dursun, “Sadece şehrin, tarihi mekanın gereği gibi korunması, görüntüsünün, tarihi özelliğinin korunması ve en azından dünyanın belli bir bölgesinin merkezi olması düşüncesinin daha önemli olduğu kanaatini taşıyorum” dedi.” ‘Dursun, emphasizing that he doesn’t put stress on which word is the correct one, said: “My opinion is only that it is more important to protect the city, the historical site, its image, its historical characteristics as it is due and at least to understand that it is a center of a certain area of the world.”’

----------------

My knowledge of history is not on a good level and the translations are My Tries. Feel free to correct me.

If I may correct, the two greek words from which the name "Istanbul" derives are not "stan" and "polis" but the phrase "εις την πόλιν" or "στην πόλιν" (is tin polin or stin polin). Both mean "to the city" and Constantine did speak Greek and Latin of course, not because he was raised in a greek-speaking family but because he received such an education.

Efi70 liked this message
108.       ikicihan
1127 posts
 23 Feb 2013 Sat 07:15 pm

Quoting alameda

While it is true, Greece was a pederastic society. Read about it here. This pracice appears to have been practiced to some degree in the Ottoman period, Köçek dancers. These practices appear to be very much related to the isolation and seclusion of women from society. 

We absorbed many greek traditions. We called turkey as "diyar-ı rûm" (land of greeks) before. But it was not a single nation´s phenomenon, it was existed in ancient history and in most part of the world.

But these strange practices was NOT connected to women issue. If it was, we would not seen it in societies where woman so called free. That is just an extremely common prejudiced theory based on nothing.

Edited (2/23/2013) by ikicihan

109.       nemanjasrb
507 posts
 23 Feb 2013 Sat 07:20 pm

Quoting Totief

If I may correct, the two greek words from which the name "Istanbul" derives are not "stan" and "polis" but the phrase "εις την πόλιν" or "στην πόλιν" (is tin polin or stin polin). Both mean "to the city" and Constantine did speak Greek and Latin of course, not because he was raised in a greek-speaking family but because he received such an education.

We in Serbian have word stan. It means apartment.

sanja87 liked this message
110.       alameda
3499 posts
 24 Feb 2013 Sun 02:19 am

I beg to differ with you, why do you think they are dressed as females if there is nothing do do with females? Isolation of one part of society gives rise to warped views, expectations and practices in place or reality.

For me, the disturbing issue in that documentary is the violation and theft of a child´s freedome and innocence, not homosexuality which has existed in all cultures throughout all times. In fact, homosexulity is known to exist in the animal kingdom, as well.

A homosexual is not necessarily a pedofile.

What consenting adults do in private is their business, not mine. I really don´t want to know, and I´m not peeping in keyholes, and I´d rather not have it thrown in my face.

"Discretion is the better part of valour."

QuotAping ikicihan

We absorbed many greek traditions. We called turkey as "diyar-ı rûm" (land of greeks) before. But it was not a single nation´s phenomenon, it was existed in ancient history and in most part of the world.

But these strange practices was NOT connected to women issue. If it was, we would not seen it in societies where woman so called free. That is just an extremely common prejudiced theory based on nothing.

(122 Messages in 13 pages - View all)
<<  ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked