A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...  >>
260.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 26 Jan 2012 Thu 01:53 pm

Quoting Abla

Çok teşekkür ederim, gokuyum. A couple of things:

1. Ölmüş babası, geçinmek için 7000 kez aynı manzarayı yapan bir ressam olan ölmüş babası, erkek çocuğunun bir polis memur olmaya karar vermesini çok beğenmemedi. I thought I will ease the structure by saving the long introduction after the subject, but it wasn´t a good choice. Could I take this as a rule? This way meaning is clearer. 

2. Wallander, konusu güneyli Skåne´in ilindeki  güney eyaletindeki Malmö şehrinin 60 kilometre güneydoğusundaki Ystad kasabasının içiyle etrafında geçen birçok esrarlı romanın kahramandır. Does your correction mean ´in the south of Skåne´ or ´in Skåne which is the southern province of Sweden´? I was trying to say the latter..... Ystad town that is 60 km southeast of Malmo city which is in the south province of Skane.

And still one thing, gokuyum:

Do you know Henning Mankell? Are his works translated into Turkish? Mankell was one of the well-known culture persons who was present on the accompanying vessel of Mavi Marmara a couple of years ago. No, I dont know him.

261.       Abla
3648 posts
 26 Jan 2012 Thu 03:26 pm

Quote:gokuyum

No, I dont know him.

A pity. The world is not small.

262.       Abla
3648 posts
 28 Jan 2012 Sat 09:30 pm

A few lines from Jo Nesbø´s novel The Leopard. If someone had the time to take a look I would be so glad.

“...´I´ve never told you this, but when you were in your teens one of your teachers called us. He said you´d been fighting in the playground again. With two of the boys from the grade above, but this time it hadn´t turned out so well  -  they´d had to send you to the hospital to have your lip sewn and a tooth taken out. I stopped your allowance, remember? Anyway, Øystein told me about the fight later. You flew at them because they´d filled Tresko´s knapsack with water from the school fountain. If I remember correctly, you didn´t even like Tresko much. Øystein said the reason you´d been hurt so badly was that you didn´t give in. You got up time after time and in the end you were bleeding so much that the big boys became alarmed and went on their way.´
Olav Hole laughed quietly. ´I didn´t think I could tell you that at the time  -  it would only have been asking for more fights  -  but I was so proud I could have wept. You were brave, Harry. You were scared of the dark, but that didn´t stop you going there.´...”

”…Sana hiç bunu anlattım ama sen genç bir erkekken öğretmenlerinden birisi bizi aradı. Senin yine oyun sahasında kavga ettiğini söyledi. Daha yukarı sınıftaki erkek çocuklardan ikisi ile, ama bu kez pek iyi olmamış  -  dudağına dikiş attırıp dişini çektirmek için seni hastaneye göndermek zorunda kalmamıştılar. Haftalığını kestim, hatırlıyor musun? Neyse, Øystein daha sonra bana kavga hakkında anlattı. Tresko’nun arka çantasını okul çeşmesi suyuyla doldurdukları için üstülerine atlamışsın. Doğru hatırlıyorsam, sen Tresko’yu bile pek sevmiyordun. Øystein pes etmemenin kötü yaralanmanın nedeni olduğunu söyledi. Tekrar tekrar ayağa kalkıp sonunda o kadar akmışsın ki büyük delikanlılar endişelenip çekip gitmişler.”
Olav Hole sessizce güldü. ”O zamanda sana bunu söyleyebileceğimi düşünmedim  -  sanki daha fazla kavga aramak gibiydi  -  ama ağlayacak kadar gururlu idim. Cesurdun, Harry. Karanlıktan korktun ama bu oraya gitmesini engellemedi.”

263.       scalpel
1472 posts
 30 Jan 2012 Mon 02:12 am

Quoting Abla

A few lines from Jo Nesbø´s novel The Leopard. If someone had the time to take a look I would be so glad.

“...´I´ve never told you this, but when you were in your teens one of your teachers called us. He said you´d been fighting in the playground again. With two of the boys from the grade above, but this time it hadn´t turned out so well  -  they´d had to send you to the hospital to have your lip sewn and a tooth taken out. I stopped your allowance, remember? Anyway, Øystein told me about the fight later. You flew at them because they´d filled Tresko´s knapsack with water from the school fountain. If I remember correctly, you didn´t even like Tresko much. Øystein said the reason you´d been hurt so badly was that you didn´t give in. You got up time after time and in the end you were bleeding so much that the big boys became alarmed and went on their way.´
Olav Hole laughed quietly. ´I didn´t think I could tell you that at the time  -  it would only have been asking for more fights  -  but I was so proud I could have wept. You were brave, Harry. You were scared of the dark, but that didn´t stop you going there.´...”

”…Sana hiç  bunu anlattım (1) ama sen genç bir erkekken (2) öğretmenlerinden birisi bizi aradı. Senin yine oyun sahasında kavga ettiğini söyledi. Daha yukarı sınıftaki erkek çocuklardan ikisi ile (3), ama bu kez pek iyi olmamış  -  dudağına dikiş attırıp dişini çektirmek için seni hastaneye göndermek zorunda kalmamıştılar (4). Haftalığını kestim, hatırlıyor musun? Neyse, Øystein daha sonra bana kavga hakkında anlattı (5). Tresko’nun arka çantasını (6) okul çeşmesi suyuyla doldurdukları için üstülerine atlamışsın. Doğru hatırlıyorsam, sen Tresko’yu bile pek sevmiyordun(7). Øystein pes etmemenin kötü yaralanmanın nedeni olduğunu söyledi. Tekrar tekrar ayağa kalkıp sonunda o kadar akmışsın ki (8) büyük delikanlılar endişelenip (9) çekip gitmişler.”
Olav Hole sessizce güldü. ”O zamanda (1 sana bunu söyleyebileceğimi düşünmedim  -  sanki daha fazla kavga aramak gibiydi (11) -  ama ağlayacak kadar gururlu idim (12). Cesurdun, Harry. Karanlıktan korktun (13) ama bu oraya gitmesini (14) engellemedi.”

(1) hiç anlatmadım  

(2) ... correct but yet a bit weird..

(3) ..the same as (2): I would say "üst sınıf(lar)dan iki çocukla"

(4) kalmışlar

(5) I would say, "bu kavgayı anlattı"

(6) sırt çantasını

(7) pek de sevmiyordun (or sevmezdin

(8) kanlar içerisinde/ yara bere içerisinde kalmışsın ki, 

(9) çocuklar korkup

(1 o zaman(lar)

(11) olurdu bu ( bu can be placed in the beginning)

(12) gururlanmıştım

(13) korkuyordun

(14) gitmeni

264.       Abla
3648 posts
 30 Jan 2012 Mon 08:43 am

Sağ ol, scalpel.  -  Did you notice one thing? The vocabulary was not very bad this time, thanks to your advice (ok, it was pretty ordinary words also, but I think I was not so very helpless). So I had all the chance in the world to make my grammar blindness obvious and visible.

I may still ask about some things later if you don´t mind.

265.       scalpel
1472 posts
 30 Jan 2012 Mon 07:40 pm

Quoting Abla

Sağ ol, scalpel.  -  Did you notice one thing? The vocabulary was not very bad this time, thanks to your advice (ok, it was pretty ordinary words also, but I think I was not so very helpless). So I had all the chance in the world to make my grammar blindness obvious and visible.

I may still ask about some things later if you don´t mind.

Evet, ettim.. kelime hazinen hızla gelişiyor.. bir de şuna dikkat ettim; cümle içindeki ekleri neredeyse hatasız kullanmaya başladın.. ama, nedense aynı başarıyı yüklemdeki zaman ve kişi ekleri için gösteremiyorsun..

Quote:

If I remember correctly, you didn´t even like Tresko much.

Doğru hatırlıyorsam, sen Tresko’yu bile pek sevmiyordun.

1. Pek is the best choice here..tebrikler ( I hate the dominance of "çok" )

2. Here is a definition about bile and -da..  it is just an assumption of mine.. and you are free not to trust it Wink

bile and -da are sometimes (not always) interchangable..

In this sentence they are 100% interchangable:

Onun hakkında benden bile/de az biliyorsun - you know even less about it than I do

In the following one bile is used to add a more emphatic and accusative tone:

Benim mektubumu da cevaplamadı (bırak başkalarından gelen mektupları - he didn´t answer even my letter (not to mention letters from others)

Benim mektubumu bile cevaplamadı (this one is more emphatic and accusative)

Bile can also go at the end of a phrase.. and the meaning changes.. this also is surprising information for the listener:

Benim mektubumu cevaplamadı bile (he wasn´t so kind as, he didn´t care, to answer my letter )

You will often see it sitting after the predicate:

Mektubu hiç açmadı bile (yani kesinlikle onu okumadı - he never even opened the letter (so he certainly did not read it)

When used so, it is interchangable with dahi:

Mektubu hiç açmadı bile/dahi

After such adverbs as pek, bir hayli, epey, oldukça, hemen hemen, etc we don´t use bile (except az/çok: Bu sana çok bile. Az bile söylemiş. ) :

pek de güzelmiş, çok da iyi olmuş, bir hayli de utandım, köy epey de uzakmış, az da dil dökmedi, bayağı da sıcak, hemen hemen de bitmişti, etc..

266.       Abla
3648 posts
 30 Jan 2012 Mon 08:07 pm

Quote:scalpel

bir de şuna dikkat ettim; cümle içindeki ekleri neredeyse hatasız kullanmaya başladın.. ama, nedense aynı başarıyı yüklemdeki zaman ve kişi ekleri için gösteremiyorsun..

The reason is the old one. Last week I was mostly hanging around here and not checking my excercises. It just doesn´t work that way with me.

scalpel, how did you know I was just about to ask about bile? I have been wondering its position in the sentence for some while, I was preparing a question but pulled my fingers from the keyboard an hour ago. I startled when I saw your post, thought maybe I had a memory lapse and I sent the question anyway.

Great explanation, dictionary stuff again, I hope people will find it from the bottom of this pile.

267.       Abla
3648 posts
 05 Feb 2012 Sun 08:31 pm

Tense, aspect related sentences. While working on these I understood how risky it is to play with the predicate, as the whole sentence stands or falls with it. But one has to start with something. My condolences in advance for the one who is going to look at them.

1. God knows how long I´ve been doing it. Allah onu ne kadar yapıyor olduğumu biliyor.

2. Have I been talking out loud? Sesli konuşuyor muydum?

3. He had been keeping it in a safety deposit box at the Bank of America. Onu Bank of America’nın kiralık kasasında saklıyordu.

4. I don´t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. Başarının anahtarını bilmiyorum fakat başarısızlığın anahtarı herkesi mutlu etmeye çalışmaktır.

5. At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice. Hayat bana on beş yaşındayken inkar edilemeyecek bir şekilde özellikle birinin başka bir seçeneği yoksa teslim olmak direnç kadar namuslu olduğunu öğretti.

6. I don´t do that much talking these days. Bugünler pek çok konuşmuyorum.

7. We will have finished the course by this time next year. Kursu gelecek yıl bu zamanlarda sonuna getirmiş olacağız.

8. He´s been driving for 6 hours. He´s driven 320 kilometres. Altı saattır sürüyor. 320 kilometre sürdü.

9. By the time they arrive, we will have been waiting for 4 hours! Onlar varına kadar dört saattır bekliyor olacağız.

10. Try to understand how hard he has been trying to make everything better for his family. Her şeyi ailesi için daha iyi yapmaya ne kadar çok çalıştığını anlamaya çalış.

11. You were talking in your sleep last night. Dün gece uykuda konuşuyordun.

12. Jane was sleeping when the phone rang. Jane uyurken telefon çaldı.

13. By the time you arrived they had left. Onlar sen gelinceye kadar yola çıkmıştılar.

14. Mr and Mrs Cox have been taking the wrong pills for years. Bay ile Bayan Cox yıllardır yanlış hap alıyorlar.

15. She had been painting the door before the dog scratched it. Köpek kapıyı çizmeden önce onu boyamaktaydı.

16. The Moscow State Circus will be performing in town for the next 3 weeks. Moskova devlet sirki gelecek üç haftadır şehirde icra ediyor.

268.       scalpel
1472 posts
 07 Feb 2012 Tue 06:38 pm

Quoting Abla

1. God knows how long I´ve been doing it. Allah onu ne kadar yapıyor olduğumu biliyor.

add copula -dır to kadar to indicate " a continuing period of time" : ne kadardır, or to be sure just add "zamandır": ne kadar zamandır, or just say "ne zamandan beridir" to get the best effect that you want.. -dik participle may help you here also: Allah, onu ne zamandan beridir yaptığımı biliyor/ Allah, onu na kadar zamandır yaptığımı biliyor 

2. Have I been talking out loud? Sesli konuşuyor muydum?

sesli mi konuşuyorum? (place mi immidiately after the word which should be stressed)

3. He had been keeping it in a safety deposit box at the Bank of America. Onu Bank of America’nın kiralık kasasında saklıyordu.

+

4. I don´t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. Başarının anahtarını bilmiyorum fakat başarısızlığın anahtarı herkesi mutlu etmeye çalışmaktır.

+

5. At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice. Hayat bana on beş yaşındayken inkar edilemeyecek bir şekilde özellikle birinin başka bir seçeneği yoksa teslim olmak direnç kadar namuslu olduğunu öğretti.

yaşında => yaşımda (most propably you follow a common error)

for the last part.. teslim olmasının da direnç göstermek kadar şerefli (bir davranış olduğunu öğretti  

6. I don´t do that much talking these days. Bugünler pek çok konuşmuyorum.

+

7. We will have finished the course by this time next year. Kursu gelecek yıl bu zamanlarda sonuna getirmiş olacağız.

bitirmiş (95%), tamamlamış (5%) but almost never sonuna getirmiş (0%) in this sentence

8. He´s been driving for 6 hours. He´s driven 320 kilometres. Altı saattır sürüyor. 320 kilometre sürdü.

+

9. By the time they arrive, we will have been waiting for 4 hours! Onlar varına kadar dört saattır bekliyor olacağız.

onlar vardığında... (=>13)

10. Try to understand how hard he has been trying to make everything better for his family. Her şeyi ailesi için daha iyi yapmaya ne kadar çok çalıştığını anlamaya çalış.

+

11. You were talking in your sleep last night. Dün gece uykuda konuşuyordun.

You can say uykuda (in the sleep) but because the English sentence has this possessive adjective it should be:

your => -n- =>uykunda

12. Jane was sleeping when the phone rang. Jane uyurken telefon çaldı.

It is not "while Jane was sleeping" but "when the phone rang"..

=>Telefon çaldığında Jane uyuyordu 

13. By the time you arrived they had left. Onlar sen gelinceye kadar yola çıkmıştılar.

sen gelinceye/gelene kadar => during the period before you arrive(d) .. you can choose it too.. but know that it may hide a slight accusation for the person who is apparently late .. "sen geldiğinde" is neutral.. 

14. Mr and Mrs Cox have been taking the wrong pills for years. Bay ile Bayan Cox yıllardır yanlış hap alıyorlar.

+

15. She had been painting the door before the dog scratched it. Köpek kapıyı çizmeden önce onu boyamaktaydı.

Köpek (onu) çizmeden önce kapıyı boyuyordu (I would prefer yor to -makta where possible) 

Use not the pronoun but noun always close to the predicate..and without onu the sentence sounds better+

16. The Moscow State Circus will be performing in town for the next 3 weeks. Moskova devlet sirki gelecek üç haftadır şehirde icra ediyor.

*I would prefer önümüzdeki

*I would use boyunca (along with) instead of copula -dır (in haftadır) 

* for a circus "gösteri yap(mak)" should be preferred to icra et(mek)

Moskova Devlet Sirki önümüzdeki üç hafta boyunca şehirde gösteri yapacak

We very often don´T use future continious in this type of sentences..

269.       Abla
3648 posts
 07 Feb 2012 Tue 06:50 pm

scalpel, sağ ol.

I´m going to count my pluses first.

Edited (2/7/2012) by Abla

270.       Abla
3648 posts
 07 Feb 2012 Tue 07:32 pm

You took all the further questions from my hands. Just a small note:

Quote:scalpel

Köpek (onu) çizmeden önce kapıyı boyuyordu.

Use not the pronoun but noun always close to the predicate..and without onu the sentence sounds better+

So many times I have been wondering this: can the pronoun refer to the right in the sentence? These problems occur when you change the word order into Turkish. Now there is a rule to follow.

Every learner who has tried translating into the language she is learning knows that behind every choice there is a small story. One of the stories of this sentence is about choosing the right word for ´scratching´. It was a success.

The small victory of this week is understanding tenses and progressive forms a little bit better.

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Intermediate (B1) to upper-intermediate (B...
qdemir: ...
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked
Major Vowel Harmony

Turkish lesson by admin
Level: beginner