Practice Turkish

Add reply to this discussion
A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...  >>
210.       Abla
3648 posts
 16 Dec 2011 Fri 07:57 pm

If I could attach pictures I would serve you a big cup of tea after this job, tunci, but as I can´t you will have to settle for my sincere thanks.

I am happy about the structures, they were mostly in their places. But choosing the correct vocabulary for each purpose seems to stay an impossible task for me. I will always stay the shabby woman with the funny language.

One thing only paid my attention in your corrections: the dictionary gives müslüman and claims

Quote:turkishdictionary.net

müslim formerly
1. (a) Muslim.
2. Muslim, Islamic.
What is the difference?

211.       tunci
7149 posts
 16 Dec 2011 Fri 08:38 pm

Quoting Abla

If I could attach pictures I would serve you a big cup of tea after this job, tunci, but as I can´t you will have to settle for my sincere thanks.

I am happy about the structures, they were mostly in their places. But choosing the correct vocabulary for each purpose seems to stay an impossible task for me. I will always stay the shabby woman with the funny language.

One thing only paid my attention in your corrections: the dictionary gives müslüman and claims

What is the difference?

Teşekkürler for your çay offer. It´s nice of you . Çay tiryakisi olarak hayır demem.

Rica ederim.

When it comes to your structures, I think you are nearly there ! , I mean , you are doing great, believe me. I am not just saying it. I know picking the right vocabulary is not easy task but it just needs some time and practice.

Müslim  = Its an arabic word that means a person [male] who chose Islam religion . [its like the word "Christian" ]

Muslime = A person [female] ] who chose Islam religion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Müslüm + an [farsi suffix that makes words plural] = Muslims

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gayrimüslim actually a compound word ;

Gayri --->  used in combination with adjectives or nouns to create adjectives or nouns which usually begin with a prefix such as non-, un-, dis-, in-: gayrikabil impossible. gayrikanuni unlawful (These words are also written separately, e.g. gayri ilmi unscientific.).

So Gayrimüslim  غيرالمسلم---> Non-muslim

This term was used especially in Ottoman Turkish in order to refer the Christians,Jews,,and others [non-muslims]

Edited (12/16/2011) by tunci

212.       Abla
3648 posts
 16 Dec 2011 Fri 08:52 pm

I didn´t recognize the word gayri until you showed its origin. Of course.

There was another funny Arabicism is my sentences, did you notice? They pronounce jumhuriyyah with plosive g- (like in the English gossip) here in Egypt, that´s why I wrote cumhurbaşkanı with g- also. It looked like a typo but it was not.

213.       tunci
7149 posts
 16 Dec 2011 Fri 09:45 pm

Quoting Abla

I didn´t recognize the word gayri until you showed its origin. Of course.

There was another funny Arabicism is my sentences, did you notice? They pronounce jumhuriyyah with plosive g- (like in the English gossip) here in Egypt, that´s why I wrote cumhurbaşkanı with g- also. It looked like a typo but it was not.

To be honest I thought it was a typo. But I now know why did you write that way. Yes

as you said with also ǧ, g.

they pronounce it as "jumhuriyyah " , "j" is romanization of letter "cim ج" [the way we[turks] pronounce that letter].

I think your arabic is good !

214.       Abla
3648 posts
 24 Dec 2011 Sat 11:01 pm

Expressing opinions:

1. In my view, birds should not be kept in cages. Bana göre, kuşlar kafeste tutulmamalı.

2. How important is it, in your view, that the twins should stay together? ~ In my opinion, it´s very important. Size göre, ikiz kardeşlerinin beraber kalması ne kadar önemli? ~ Fikrimce, çok önemli.

3. From my point of view it makes no difference whether you return on Saturday night or Sunday morning. İster Cumartesi gecesi ister Pazar sabahı dön, benim için farketmez.

4. From a political point of view, the agreement of the UN is extremely important. Siyası açıdan bakınca Birleşmiş Milletler’in anlaşması aşırı derecede önemlidir.

5. From the point of view of safety, always wear a helmet when you are on the building site. Emniyet bakımdan bina yerinde bulunurken her zaman bir miğfer giyin.

6. To my mind the quality of their football is just not good enough. Kanımca, fulbolların niteliği sadece yeter değil.

7. I reckon it´ll rain later today. Let´s go tomorrow. Sonra bugün yağmur yağacağını zannedıyorum. Yarın gidelim.

8. I feel she shouldn´t be getting married so young. Bana öyle geliyor ki o kadar gençken evlenmemeli.

9. If you ask me, it´s unreasonable to pay for something which should be free. Bana sorarsan, bedava olması gereken bir şey için para ödenmesi mantıksız.

10. To be honest, I´m surprised you got into university with such low grades. Dürüst olarak, o kadar kötü notlarla üniversite’ye girmen beni şaşırttı.

11. As far as I´m concerned, the matter is over and done with and we can now move forward. Bana gelince, konu olup bitti ve biz şimdi ileri hareket edebiliriz.

12. How acceptable is it for wild animals to be kept in zoos? Yabani hayvanların hayvan bahçelerinde tutulması ne kadar kabul edilir?

13. It seems to me that the best relationships - the ones that last - are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. Bana öyle görünüyor ki en iyi, dayanan ilişkiler sık sık kökleri arkadaşlıkta bulunanlar.

14. I would argue that it is simply impossible to objectively tell if a person is intelligent. Bir şahısın akıllı olup olmayacağı nesnel olarak söylenmesinin sade bir şekilde olanaksız olduğunu iddia ediyorum.

15. It´s sometimes argued that there is no real progress. Bazen gerçek ilerlemenin olmadığı tartışılır.

16. By this I mean hospitals and schools should be our first priority. Bununla hastane ile okullar birinci önceliğimiz olmalarının gerektiğini demek istiyorum.

215.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 25 Dec 2011 Sun 12:05 am

Quoting Abla

Expressing opinions:

1. In my view, birds should not be kept in cages. Bana göre, kuşlar kafeste tutulmamalı.

2. How important is it, in your view, that the twins should stay together? ~ In my opinion, it´s very important. Size göre, ikiz kardeşlerin in beraber (birarada is better) kalması ne kadar önemli? ~ Fikrimce, çok önemli.

3. From my point of view it makes no difference whether you return on Saturday night or Sunday morning. İster Cumartesi gecesi ister Pazar sabahı dön, benim için farketmez.

4. From a political point of view, the agreement of the UN is extremely important. Siyasi açıdan bakınca Birleşmiş Milletler’in anlaşması aşırı derecede önemlidir.

5. From the point of view of safety, always wear a helmet when you are on the building site. Emniyet bakımından bina yerinde bulunurken her zaman bir miğfer kask giyin. (Miğfer is an old war tool)

6. To my mind the quality of their football is just not good enough. Kanımca, fulbollarının niteliği sadece yeterince iyi değil.

7. I reckon it´ll rain later today. Let´s go tomorrow. Sonra bugün sonradan yağmur yağacağını zannedıyorum. Yarın gidelim.

8. I feel she shouldn´t be getting married so young. Bana öyle geliyor ki o kadar gençken evlenmemeli.

9. If you ask me, it´s unreasonable to pay for something which should be free. Bana sorarsan, bedava olması gereken bir şey için para ödenmesi mantıksız.

10. To be honest, I´m surprised you got into university with such low grades. Dürüst olarak olmak gerekirse, o kadar kötü notlarla üniversiteye girmen beni şaşırttı.

11. As far as I´m concerned, the matter is over and done with and we can now move forward. Bana gelince, konu olup bitti ve biz şimdi ileri hareket edebiliriz. (ilerleyebiliriz is better)

12. How acceptable is it for wild animals to be kept in zoos? Yabani hayvanların hayvan bahçelerinde tutulması ne kadar kabul edilebilir?

13. It seems to me that the best relationships - the ones that last - are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. Bana öyle görünüyor ki en iyi, dayanan (dayanaklı ilişkiler sıklıkla sık kökleri arkadaşlıkta bulunanlardır. (a fact) 

14. I would argue that it is simply impossible to objectively tell if a person is intelligent. Bir şahısın akıllı olup olmadığının nesnel olarak söylenmesinin sade bir şekilde (or basitçe) olanaksız olduğunu iddia ediyorum.

15. It´s sometimes argued that there is no real progress. Bazen gerçek ilerlemenin olmadığı tartışılır.

16. By this I mean hospitals and schools should be our first priority. Bununla hastane ile okulların birinci önceliğimiz olmasının gerektiğini demek istiyorum. (not plural because they are not humans)

Edited (12/25/2011) by gokuyum

216.       Abla
3648 posts
 25 Dec 2011 Sun 09:02 am

Thank you for checking my excercises, gokuyum.

Notes:

1. ikiz kardeşlerin in beraber (birarada is better) kalması: First I thought you deleted my genitive ending but it’s the possessive suffix that you removed, isn’t it? It means ikiz kardeşler is like kadın doktor or erkek arkadaş.

2. (Miğfer is an old war tool): You must be so much amused sometimes.

3. Dürüst olarak olmak gerekirse: What is wrong with dürüst olarak? Is is that the main clause has another subject? I thougt with olmak it is possible.

4. Bir şahısın akıllı olup olmadığının nesnel olarak söylenmesinin sade bir şekilde (or basitçe) olanaksız olduğunu iddia ediyorum: I though indirect questions always take future participle but I was wrong.

Edited (12/25/2011) by Abla

217.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 25 Dec 2011 Sun 12:50 pm

Quoting Abla

Thank you for checking my excercises, gokuyum.

Notes:

1. ikiz kardeşlerin in beraber (birarada is better) kalması: First I thought you deleted my genitive ending but it’s the possessive suffix that you removed, isn’t it? It means ikiz kardeşler is like kadın doktor or erkek arkadaş.(Yes) Actually there were two connection sufixes in the word and I deleted one of them.

2. (Miğfer is an old war tool): You must be so much amused sometimes.

3. Dürüst olarak olmak gerekirse: What is wrong with dürüst olarak? Is is that the main clause has another subject? I thougt with olmak it is possible. It just sounds weird here

4. Bir şahısın akıllı olup olmadığının nesnel olarak söylenmesinin sade bir şekilde (or basitçe) olanaksız olduğunu iddia ediyorum: I though indirect questions always take future participle but I was wrong. yes 

218.       Abla
3648 posts
 30 Dec 2011 Fri 09:39 pm

1. The metro system runs efficiently. Metro sistemi etkili bir şekilde çalışır.

2. It is without doubt the quickest and cheapest way to transverse the city, costing just 1 L.E. Șüphesiz şehirde karşıdan karşıya yolculuk etmek için en hızlı ve en ucuz, fiyatı yalnız bir Mısır lirası araçtır.

3. Metro tickets can be purchased at any of the kiosks in the station. Metro biletler istasyondaki külübelerden herhangisinde satın alınabilir.

4. Note that the first two carts of every train are only for women. Her trenin ilk iki arabasının yalnız kadınlar için olduğunu dikkate al.

5. So if you’re a man try not to get in one of these carts. Yani bir erkek olursan bu arabaların birine binmemeye çalış.

6. However, if you look foreign most women would probably not comment and just assume you aren’t aware of the rule. Ne var ki bir yabancı görünürsen kadınların çoğu herhalde söz söylemeyip senin yönetimin farkında varmadığını zannedeyecek.

7. You may need to learn the Arabic numerals, as some bus services use them instead of numbers that we know. Bazı otobüs hizmetleri bildiğimiz sayıların yerine Arapça sayılarını kullandığı için onları öğrenmek zorunda kalabilirsin.

8. Microbuses drive so horribly you have to be ready for a wobbly ride, but it’s easier to use them than buses if you don’t speak Arabic. Minibüsler öyle korkunç bir şekilde sürüyor ki dingildeyen bir binmeye hazırlanmalısın, ama Arapçayı bilirsen onların kullanması otobüslerden daha kolay.

9. When you don’t know the way they tend to choose the longer route to get you to pay more. Sen yolu bilmediğinde seni daha çok para ödemek zorunda kaldırmak için daha uzun yolu seçerler.

10. Simply stand at the side of the road and at the sight of an approaching taxi point your hand towards the road. The driver will slowly cruise past you. Ancak yolun tarafında ayakta durup yaklaşan bir taksi görüyorken elinle yolu işaret et. Sürücü yavaş yavaş önünden dolaşacak.

11. Women should avoid sitting next to the driver. Kadınlar sürücünün yanında oturmadan sakınmalılar.

12. If you are certain he is trying to gouge you, threaten to take the matter to the tourist police, which all cabbies fear. Onun fiyatı fazla yükseltmeye kalkışmasından emin olursan davayı her sürücünün korktuğu turist polise geçirmeni tehmin et.

13. However, please note that the majority of taxi drivers are polite, shy and satisfied with what they get, providing the fair offered is reasonable. Ama taksicilerin çoğunluğun nazik, çekingen ve verildiği fiyat makul olursa aldığından memnun olduğunu lütfen dikkate al.

14. The only way for a pedestrian to cross a street safely in Cairo is to ignore the cars. Bir yayanın Kahire’de bir sokaktan emniette geçirmenin tek yolu arabalara boş vermektir.

219.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 31 Dec 2011 Sat 06:53 am

Quoting Abla

1. The metro system runs efficiently. Metro sistemi etkili bir şekilde çalışır 

2. It is without doubt the quickest and cheapest way to transverse the city, costing just 1 L.E. Șüphesiz şehirde karşıdan karşıya yolculuk etmek için en hızlı ve en ucuz, fiyatı yalnız bir Mısır lirası olan araçtır.

3. Metro tickets can be purchased at any of the kiosks in the station. Metro biletler istasyondaki külübelerden herhangi birinden  satın alınabilir.

4. Note that the first two carts of every train are only for women. Her trenin ilk iki arabasının yalnız kadınlar için olduğunu dikkate al.

5. So if you’re a man try not to get in one of these carts. Yani bir erkeksen olursan bu arabaların herhangi birine binmemeye çalış.

6. However, if you look foreign most women would probably not comment and just assume you aren’t aware of the rule. Ne var ki bir yabancı gibi görünüyorsan kadınların çoğu herhalde söz söylemeyip senin yönetimin kuralın farkında varmadığını olmadığını zannede y ecek.

7. You may need to learn the Arabic numerals, as some bus services use them instead of numbers that we know. Bazı otobüs hizmetleri bildiğimiz sayıların yerine Arap ça sayılarını kullandığı için onları öğrenmek zorunda kalabilirsin.

8. Microbuses drive so horribly you have to be ready for a wobbly ride, but it’s easier to use them than buses if you don’t speak Arabic. Minibüsler öyle korkunç bir şekilde sürüyor ki dingildeyen bir binmeye sürüşe hazırlanmalısın, ama Arapçayı bilirsen onları n kullanması otobüslerden daha kolay.

9. When you don’t know the way they tend to choose the longer route to get you to pay more. Sen yolu bilmediğinde seni daha çok para ödemek zorunda kaldırmak bırakmak için daha uzun yolu seçerler.

10. Simply stand at the side of the road and at the sight of an approaching taxi point your hand towards the road. The driver will slowly cruise past you. Ancak Basitçe yolun tarafında ayakta durup yaklaşan bir taksi görüyorken elinle yolu işaret et. Sürücü yavaş yavaş önünden dolaşacak.

11. Women should avoid sitting next to the driver. Kadınlar sürücünün yanında oturmaktan sakınmalılar.

12. If you are certain he is trying to gouge you, threaten to take the matter to the tourist police, which all cabbies fear. Onun fiyatı fazla yükseltmeye kalkıştığından masından emin olursan davayı konuyu her sürücünün korktuğu turist polisine geçirmeni tehmin götürmekle tehdit et.

13. However, please note that the majority of taxi drivers are polite, shy and satisfied with what they get, providing the fair offered is reasonable. Ama taksicilerin çoğunluğunun nazik, çekingen ve verilen diği fiyat makul olursa aldığından memnun olduğunu lütfen dikkate al.

14. The only way for a pedestrian to cross a street safely in Cairo is to ignore the cars. Bir yayanın Kahire’de bir sokaktan emniette emniyetle geçirmenin geçmesinin tek yolu arabalara boş vermektir.

Edited (12/31/2011) by gokuyum
Edited (12/31/2011) by gokuyum

220.       Abla
3648 posts
 31 Dec 2011 Sat 02:28 pm

It looks too bad. Thank you for your help, gokuyum. The corrections are very clear and most of them I understood as soon as I saw them. I have been very careless.

Notes:

1. Minibüsler öyle korkunç bir şekilde sürüyor ki…: Don’t vehicles drive themselves in Turkish (in many languages they do)?

2. bir yabancı gibi görünüyorsan…: It seems to me that present continuos tense is widely used in expressions of feelings and sensory perception. Am I right?

3. turist polisine geçirmeni tehmin götürmekle tehdit et; Kadınlar sürücünün yanında oturmaktan sakınmalılar: I can’t really understand the division or labour between me- and mek-infinitives. Is it something that can be understood or is it a lexical question (certain verbs govern words with certain forms and that’s all there is to it)?

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked