Add reply to this discussion
A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...  >>
170.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 24 Nov 2011 Thu 11:14 am

Quoting Abla

Thank you so much, gokuyum. Expressing past certainty seems to be today´s lesson for me. A couple of more remarks if you don´t mind:

1. Hep “Ağzı Ağız açık ken yemek yenmemeli”: In the English translation there was talk about ´one´s mouth´, ´one´s elbows´. It´s good to know impersonal passive in Turkish works in this kind of instructions which are given to people in general, but it seems that in this case you cannot use 3rd person possessive suffix to refer to this general person, isn´t it?

2. Herhangi birimiz olabilir: Queueing pronouns like this was something new to me but while making the translation I already doubted that the whole meaning was not in birimiz. Interesting.

3. Isn´t there any way in Turkish to express ´by six o´clock´, ´any time before six o´clock but not later´? I thought about saat altıya kadar but it didn´t sound right.

1) You can also use third person possesive if you want. 

EX: One should not eat something with his mouth open. Kimse ağzı açık yemek yememeli.

3)By six o´clock. 6´ya kadar. It is correct.

171.       Abla
3648 posts
 30 Nov 2011 Wed 11:26 am

Small sentences with some challenging pronouns:

1. Each of the members has one vote. Űyelerin her birinin bir oyu var.

2. One of the girls gave up her seat. Kızların biri sandalyesini serbest bıraktı.

3. A few of the justices were voicing their opposition. Hakimlerin birkacı karşıtlığını beyan etti.

4. All of the people clapped their hands. İnsanların hepsi alkışladılar.

5. All of the newspaper was soaked. Gazetenin tümü ıslatıldı.

6. Is everyone happy with his gift? Herkes hediyesi ile mutlu mu?

7. He has one job in the day and another at night. Gündüz bir işi, gece bir başkası var.

8. I´d like another apple juice, please. Bir elma suyu daha istiyorum, lütfen.

9. Each of the players has a doctor of his own. Her oyuncunun kendi bir doktoru var.

10. I met two girls. One has given me her phone number. İki kıza rastladım. Biri bana telefon numarasını verdi. 

11. Many have expressed their views. Birçokları görüşünü ifade etti.

12. Can anyone answer this question? Herhangi bir kimse bu soruya cevap edebilir mi?

13. Do you want tea or coffee? - I don´t mind. Either is good for me. Kahve veya çay istiyor musunuz? – Umurumda değil. Ya o ya bu bana iyi.

14. Enough is enough. Yeteri yeterdir.

15. They lost everything in the earthquake. Depremde herşeyi kaybettiler.

16. I keep telling Jack and Jill but neither believes me. Jack ile Jill’e anlatıp duruyorum ama ikisinden hiç biri bana inanmıyor.

17. If you don´t know the answer it´s best to say nothing. Cevabı bilmezsen hiç söylememek en iyi olur.

18. Can one smoke here? Burada sigara içilir mi?

19. All the students arrived but now one is missing. Öğrencilerin hepsi vardı ama şimdi

biri eksik.

20. Clearly somebody murdered him. It was not suicide. Șüphesiz bir kimse onu öldürdü. O bir intihar değildi.

21. John likes coffee but not tea. I think both are good. John kahve sevip de çay sevmiyor. Bence ikisi iyi.

22. Few have ever disobeyed him and lived. Az kişi ona hiç itaat etmeyip devam yaşıyordu.

23. He was a foreigner and he felt that he was treated as such. Bir yabancı idi ve yabancı olarak davranıldığını hissediyordu.

172.       si++
3785 posts
 30 Nov 2011 Wed 12:38 pm

Quoting Abla

Small sentences with some challenging pronouns:

1. Each of the members has one vote. Űyelerin her birinin bir oyu var.

2. One of the girls gave up her seat. Kızların biri sandalyesini serbest bıraktı.

(or sandalyesinden vazgeçti)

3. A few of the justices were voicing their opposition. Hakimlerin birkacı karşıtlığını beyan etti (or dile getirdi).

4. All of the people clapped their hands. İnsanların hepsi alkışladılar.

5. All of the newspaper was soaked. Gazetenin tümü ıslatıldı ıslaktı/ıslanmıştı.

6. Is everyone happy with his (their) gift? Herkes hediyesi ile mutlu mu?

7. He has one job in the day and another at night. Gündüz bir işi, gece bir başkası (or başka işi) var.

8. I´d like another apple juice, please. Bir elma suyu daha istiyorum, lütfen.

9. Each of the players has a doctor of his own. Her oyuncunun kendi bir doktoru var.

10. I met two girls. One has given me her phone number. İki kıza rastladım tanıdım. Biri(si) bana telefon numarasını verdi. 

11. Many have expressed their views. Birçoğu görüşünü ifade etti.

12. Can anyone answer this question? (Herhangi bir kimse) Birisi bu soruya cevap verebilir mi?

13. Do you want tea or coffee? - I don´t mind. Either is good for me. Kahve veya çay istiyor musunuz? – Umurumda değil. Ya o ya bu bana iyi.

Kahve mi çay mı istersin? benim için farketmez. İkisi de olur.

14. Enough is enough. Yeteri yeterdir. Artık yeter.

15. They lost everything in the earthquake. Depremde herşeyi kaybettiler.

16. I keep telling Jack and Jill but neither believes me. Jack ile Jill’e anlatıp duruyorum ama ikisinden hiç biri (or ikisi de) bana inanmıyor. Bravo

17. If you don´t know the answer it´s best to say nothing. Cevabı bilmezsen/bilmiyorsan hiç birşey söylememek en iyisi olur.

18. Can one smoke here? Burada sigara içilir mi?

19. All the students arrived but now one is missing. Öğrencilerin hepsi vardı/gelmişti ama şimdi

biri eksik.

20. Clearly somebody murdered him. It was not suicide. Șüphesiz bir kimse (birisi) onu öldürdü. O bir intihar değildi.

21. John likes coffee but not tea. I think both are good. John kahve sevip de çay sevmiyor. (John kahve sever, çay sevmez) Bence ikisi iyi.

22. Few have ever disobeyed him and lived. Az kişi ona hiç itaat etmeyip devam yaşıyordu.

Ona karşı gelip te yaşayan (hayatta kalan) çok az kişi var.

23. He was a foreigner and he felt that he was treated as such. Bir yabancı idi ve (kendisine) yabancı olarak davranıldığını hissediyordu.

Another quickie.

173.       Abla
3648 posts
 30 Nov 2011 Wed 02:15 pm

Woke up in a freezing room. Street cats had made it in front of my door. The ancient elevator stopped in the middle way down. And then, somewhat riled sent my excercises to TC and got them soon back ready and checked. This is not real. You are too friendly, si++. Sağ olun.

174.       si++
3785 posts
 30 Nov 2011 Wed 02:41 pm

Quoting Abla

Woke up in a freezing room. Street cats had made it in front of my door. The ancient elevator stopped in the middle way down. And then, somewhat riled sent my excercises to TC and got them soon back ready and checked. This is not real. You are too friendly , si++. Sağ olun.

In Cairo? I didn´t know Cairo is so cold these days.

175.       Abla
3648 posts
 30 Nov 2011 Wed 04:36 pm

It’s around twenty degrees in the daytime and eleven at night. No central heating in the houses. Yes, it’s chilly sometimes.

Notes:

1. Some mistakes are more interesting than others. Gazetenin tümü ıslatıldı ıslaktı/ıslanmıştı. I guess I understand the correction here. Isn’t it that ısla|t|ıl|dı is like someone made it wet (impersonal) which is not ment here (no impersonal in English as far as I know)?

2. Birisi bu soruya cevap verebilir mi? Șüphesiz bir kimse (birisi) onu öldürdü. I knew 3rd person possessive suffix can (instead of an individual lexeme) refer to the situation or common knowledge but I didn’t even think of this alternative.

3. I had my doubts about Umurumda değil. I thought it might be too negative in meaning, something like ‘none of my business’ but at least you didn’t delete it.

4. Cevabı bilmezsen/bilmiyorsan hiç birşey söylememek en iyisi olur. hiç translates ‘nothing’ but it seems that it can’t make an object by itself.

176.       si++
3785 posts
 30 Nov 2011 Wed 06:17 pm

Quoting Abla

It’s around twenty degrees in the daytime and eleven at night. No central heating in the houses. Yes, it’s chilly sometimes.

Notes:

1. Some mistakes are more interesting than others. Gazetenin tümü ıslatıldı ıslaktı/ıslanmıştı. I guess I understand the correction here. Isn’t it that ısla|t|ıl|dı is like someone made it wet (impersonal) which is not ment here (no impersonal in English as far as I know)?

Yes: Islatıldı = It was made wet (by somebody)

2. Birisi bu soruya cevap verebilir mi? Șüphesiz bir kimse (birisi) onu öldürdü. I knew 3rd person possessive suffix can (instead of an individual lexeme) refer to the situation or common knowledge but I didn’t even think of this alternative.

3. I had my doubts about Umurumda değil. I thought it might be too negative in meaning, something like ‘none of my business’ but at least you didn’t delete it.

4. Cevabı bilmezsen/bilmiyorsan hiç birşey söylememek en iyisi olur. hiç translates ‘nothing’ but it seems that it can’t make an object by itself.

In that case "hiç" becomes and adverb that modifies the verb

hiç söylememek = not to say (it) at all

But it may mean nothing:

- Ne söyledin? = What did you say (to him/her)?

- Hiç = Nothing (short for - hiç (bir şey söylemedim))

177.       Abla
3648 posts
 10 Dec 2011 Sat 05:05 pm

1. This is the teacher who told me my son has been misbehaving in class. Bu, erkek çocuğumun sınıfta yaramazlık ettiğini bana anlatmış olan öğretmendir.

2. My friend, whom I love, sent me flowers at work last night. Sevdiğim dostum dün gece bana iş yerine çiçekler gönderdi.

3. This is the girl whose car my sister saw hit that tree last week. Bu, kız kardeşımın arabası geçen hafta o ağaca çarptığını gördüğü kız.

4. Those were the boxes which were sent to you last month but never made it here. Onlar, sana geçen ay gönderilip de hiç buraya varmamış olan kutular idi.

5. Whom shall I fear but the ones who hurt me? Beni inciten birilerden yoksa kimlerden korkacağım?

6. I asked you which of these shoes you think would go with my outfit. Sana bu ayakkabılardan hangisinin sence kıyafetime uygun olduğunu sordum.

7. I have friends who love me so much that they threw a surprise birthday party for me last night. Beni o kadar çok seven arkadaşlarım var ki benim için dün gece doğum günü partisini yaptılar.

8. That young man, to whom we owe many thanks, saved our mom´s life after the car accident. Çok teşekkürler borçlu olduğumuz o delikanlı araba kazasından sonra annemizin canını kurtardı.

9. A veiled woman whose eyes only I saw was standing in the bus stop. Yalnız gözlerini görebildiğim peçeli bir kadın otobüs durağında ayakta duruyordu.

10. In 1998 I travelled to Paris where I met my husband. Kocam ile karşılaştığım Paris’e 1998’de yolculuk ettim.

11. Marie Curie, who was born in Poland in 1867, was a scientist. 1867’de Polonya’da doğan Marie Curie bir bilim kadını idi.

12. Karen, whose surname is Johnson, is a beautiful model. Soyadı Johnson olan Karen güzel bir modeldir.

13. Van Gogh was a painter whose paintings are known worldwide. Van Gogh resimleri bütün dünyada tanınan bir ressam idi.

14. Radium is a metal which shines in the dark. Radyum karanlıkta parlayan bir madendir.

15. That is the girl whose brother is a famous footballer. Bu erkek kardeşi ünlü bir futbolcu olan kızdır.

16. The Coliseum was an amphitheatre where Romans enjoyed plays, chariot races and gladiator fights many centuries ago. Kolezyum, Romalıların çok yüzyıl önce piyes, savaş arabası yarışı ve gladiatör kavgalarından zevk aldıkları bir amphitheater idi.

17. Never get involved with a man whose wife has been murdered. Hiç karısı öldürülmüş olan bir erkek ile içli dışlı olma.

18. Watch out for men whose eyes rove while they are talking to you. Seninle konuşuyorken gözleri avare dolaşan erkeklere dikkat et.

19. Death is like a journey to a land from which there is no return. Ölüm dönüşü olmayan bir ülkeye yolculuk gibi.

178.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 10 Dec 2011 Sat 09:29 pm

Quoting Abla

1. This is the teacher who told me my son has been misbehaving in class. Bu, erkek çocuğumun sınıfta yaramazlık ettiğini bana anlatmış olan öğretmendir.

2. My friend, whom I love, sent me flowers at work last night. Sevdiğim dostum dün gece bana iş yerine çiçekler gönderdi.

3. This is the girl whose car my sister saw hit that tree last week. Bu, kız kardeşımın arabasının geçen hafta o ağaca çarptığını gördüğü kız.

4. Those were the boxes which were sent to you last month but never made it here. Onlar, sana geçen ay gönderilip de hiç buraya varmamış olan kutular idi.

5. Whom shall I fear but the ones who hurt me? Beni inciten birilerinden yoksa başka kimlerden korkacağım?

6. I asked you which of these shoes you think would go with my outfit. Sana bu ayakkabılardan hangisinin sence kıyafetime uygun olduğunu sordum.

7. I have friends who love me so much that they threw a surprise birthday party for me last night. Beni o kadar çok seven arkadaşlarım var ki benim için dün gece doğum günü partisini yaptılar.

8. That young man, to whom we owe many thanks, saved our mom´s life after the car accident. Çok teşekkürler borçlu olduğumuz o delikanlı araba kazasından sonra annemizin canını kurtardı.

9. A veiled woman whose eyes only I saw was standing in the bus stop. Yalnız gözlerini görebildiğim peçeli bir kadın otobüs durağında ayakta duruyordu.

10. In 1998 I travelled to Paris where I met my husband. Kocam ile karşılaştığım tanıştığım Paris’e 1998’de yolculuk ettim.

11. Marie Curie, who was born in Poland in 1867, was a scientist. 1867’de Polonya’da doğan Marie Curie bir bilim kadını idi.

12. Karen, whose surname is Johnson, is a beautiful model. Soyadı Johnson olan Karen güzel bir modeldir. 

13. Van Gogh was a painter whose paintings are known worldwide. Van Gogh resimleri bütün dünyada tanınan bir ressam idi.

14. Radium is a metal which shines in the dark. Radyum karanlıkta parlayan bir madendir.

15. That is the girl whose brother is a famous footballer. Bu erkek kardeşi ünlü bir futbolcu olan kızdır.

16. The Coliseum was an amphitheatre where Romans enjoyed plays, chariot races and gladiator fights many centuries ago. Kolezyum, Romalıların çok yüzyıllar önce piyes, savaş arabası yarışı ve gladiatör kavgalarından zevk aldıkları bir amphitheater amfitiyatro idi.

17. Never get involved with a man whose wife has been murdered. Hiçbir zaman karısı öldürülmüş olan bir erkek ile içli dışlı olma.

18. Watch out for men whose eyes rove while they are talking to you. Seninle konuşuyorken gözleri avare dolaşan erkeklere dikkat et.

19. Death is like a journey to a land from which there is no return. Ölüm dönüşü olmayan bir ülkeye yolculuk gibi.

Edited (12/10/2011) by gokuyum

179.       Abla
3648 posts
 10 Dec 2011 Sat 09:49 pm

Thank you, gokuyum. There was not so much work this time, was there? Quite happy here.

180.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 10 Dec 2011 Sat 09:52 pm

Quoting Abla

Thank you, gokuyum. There was not so much work this time, was there? Quite happy here.

This was quite good. Your Turkish is really brilliant.

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most commented