Practice Turkish

Add reply to this discussion
A Few Sentences, Vol. II
(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...  >>
160.       Abla
3648 posts
 12 Nov 2011 Sat 02:07 pm

Of course I know it now when I see the different forms. One should always keep in mind that any Turkish word with more than two syllables can be split into pieces and modified like a toy train. Thanks again.

161.       Abla
3648 posts
 16 Nov 2011 Wed 12:38 pm

I tried some wishes and regrets:

1. I wish to make a complaint and would like to see the manager. Bir şikayet edip yönetmeni görmek istiyorum.
2. I do not wish to renew my subscription and would be grateful if my name could be deleted from your database. Aboneyimi yenilemek istemeyip adım veritabanınızdan çıkarılabilirse minnettar kalırım.

3. I don´t wish to seem ungrateful, but I already have all the T-shirts I need. Nankör görünmek istemiyorum ama şimdiden ihtiyacım olan tüm tişörtlerim var.

4. We wanted to see the Crown Jewels but couldn´t because the Tower of London had already closed. Taç mücevherlerini görmek isterdik ama Londra Kalesi hemen kapatılmış olduğu için göremedik..
5. I don´t speak any foreign languages, but I wish I could speak Spanish. Hiç yabancı dil bilmiyorum, ama İspanyolca konuşabilsem.
6. I´m not hard-working at all - I´m really lazy - but I wish I weren´t. Çalışkan değilim  -  gerçekten tembelim  -  ama keşke olmasam.

7. It´s only Tuesday today, but I wish it was Saturday. Bugün ancak salı, ama cumartesi olsa.

8. My husband has to work such long hours, but I wish he didn´t. Kocam uzun saatler çalışmak zorunda kalır, ama keşke o kadar çok çalışmasa.
9. And now the dishwasher doesn´t work. I wish it did. Ve şimdi bulaşık makinesi çalışmıyor. Keşke çalışsa.

10. I can´t eat anything with nuts in - I´m allergic to them - but I wish I could. Fındıklı hiçbir şey yiyemem  -  ona karşı alerjiğim  -  ama yiyebilsem.
11. He keeps sending me messages, but I wish he wouldn´t. Bana mesaj göndermeye devam ediyor, ama keşke bunu yapmasa.

12. I hope you´ll get top marks in your English test. İngilizce sınavında en yüksek notları alacağını umuyorum.

13. I can see you´re not well now, but I hope you recover in time for the match. Șimdi rahatsız olduğunu görebiliyorum, ama maç için iyileştiğini umuyorum.

14. I wish I had worked harder at university. Űniversitede daha çok çalışsaydım.

15. I wish I had done more travelling in my youth. If I had travelled more widely, I am sure I would be more open-minded now. Gençken daha çok yolculuk etseymiştim. Daha geniş ölçüde gezsem, eminim ki şimdi daha açık fikirli olurdum.
16. I wish you could come with me to Fethiye this summer. Gönül ister ki bu yaz benimle Fethiye’ye gel.
17. I wish I hadn´t taken your advice. Öğüdünü almasaydım.

18. I wish she could have come. Gelebilseydi. 

19. If only you could be here! Burada bir olabilsen.

20. If only I´d listened to you! Keşke seni dinleseymiştim!

162.       si++
3785 posts
 16 Nov 2011 Wed 01:01 pm

Quoting Abla

I tried some wishes and regrets:

1. I wish to make a complaint and would like to see the manager. Bir şikayet edip yönetmeni görmek istiyorum.

Müdürle görüşüp bir şikayette bulunmak istiyorum.
2. I do not wish to renew my subscription and would be grateful if my name could be deleted from your database. Aboneliğimi yenilemek istemiyorum, adım veritabanınızdan çıkarılabilirse/silinirse minnettar kalırım.

3. I don´t wish to seem ungrateful, but I already have all the T-shirts I need. Nankör görünmek istemiyorum ama şimdiden ihtiyacım olan tüm tişörtlerim var.

4. We wanted to see the Crown Jewels but couldn´t because the Tower of London had already closed. Taç mücevherlerini görmek isterdikistedik ama Londra Kalesi hemen kapatılmış olduğu için göremedik.. or "Towers of London" kapanmıştı.
5. I don´t speak any foreign languages, but I wish I could speak Spanish. Hiç yabancı dil bilmiyorum, ama İspanyolca konuşabilsem konuşabilmek isterdim.
6. I´m not hard-working at all - I´m really lazy - but I wish I weren´t. Hiç Çalışkan değilim  -  gerçekten tembelim  -  ama keşke olmasa idim.

7. It´s only Tuesday today, but I wish it was Saturday. Bugün ancak/daha salı, ama keşke cumartesi olsa idi.

8. My husband has to work such long hours, but I wish he didn´t. Kocam uzun saatler çalışmak zorunda kalır, ama keşke o kadar çok çalışmasa olmasa idi.
9. And now the dishwasher doesn´t work. I wish it did. (Ve şimdi) Şimdi de bulaşık makinesi çalışmıyor. Keşke çalışsa idi.

10. I can´t eat anything with nuts in - I´m allergic to them - but I wish I could. Fındıklı hiçbir şey yiyemem  -  ona karşı alerjiğim  -  ama keşke yiyebilsem.
11. He keeps sending me messages, but I wish he wouldn´t. Bana mesaj (göndermeye devam ediyor) gönderip/atıp duruyor, (ama) keşke bunu yapmasa.

12. I hope you´ll get top marks in your English test. İngilizce sınavında en yüksek notları alacağını umuyorum. İnşallah ingilizceden en yüksek notları alırsınız.

13. I can see you´re not well now, but I hope you recover in time for the match. Șimdi (rahatsız olduğunu görebiliyorum) pek iyi görünmüyorsun, ama (maç için iyileştiğini) maça kadar iyi olmanı umuyorum/umarım. or inşallah maça kadar iyi olursun.

14. I wish I had worked harder at university. Keşke Űniversitede daha çok çalışsaydım.

15. I wish I had done more travelling in my youth. If I had travelled more widely, I am sure I would be more open-minded now. Keşke Gençken daha çok (yolculuk etseymiştim) gezse idim. Daha geniş ölçüde çok gezsem, eminim ki şimdi daha açık fikirli olurdum.
16. I wish you could come with me to Fethiye this summer. (Gönül ister ki) Keşke bu yaz benimle Fethiye’ye gelse idin.
17. I wish I hadn´t taken your advice. Keşke Öğüdünü tutmasaydım.

18. I wish she could have come. Keşke Gelebilseydi. 

19. If only you could be here! Burada bir olabilsen. 

20. If only I´d listened to you! Keşke seni dinlese idim! 

163.       Abla
3648 posts
 16 Nov 2011 Wed 01:05 pm

Oh, no. I see everything red. Sağ olun, si++. You were so quick.

164.       Abla
3648 posts
 16 Nov 2011 Wed 06:55 pm

I’m not quite as dummy as it seems. I just try to do what is difficult for me.

Some Notes:

1. It seems that keşke is more important in remote wishes than I thought.

2. I don’t understand at all. All my last minute corrections were wrong. I mean sentences 5-9. I try to put it in short. I followed this system (even though I know it’s not very clever to look at the English ruling):

A) I wish I did > etsem

B) I wish I had done > etseydim

The problem was in type A sentences. They do not actually refer to the past. In my opinion the past tense form of the predicate is just the demand of English syntax. If the dishwasher didn’t work, I want it to work now, if you understand what I mean. The only sentences where type A was accepted were 10, 11 and 19: ‘I wish I could eat peanuts’, ‘I wish he would stop sending messages’ and ‘I wish you could be here’.

[Sigh.] It is difficult to see what the difference is. If it was about time, about referring to the future, ‘I wish you could come to Fethiye in the summer’ is a counter example. It’s more likely to be about the remoteness of the wish

This reminds me of the situation after I first translated some conditionals. All –se-verbs were incorrect. No wonder, it is the same concept.

Maybe the solution is to cook first as I feel and then take another handfull of –di-endings and add them to the soup.

3. You deleted both my so called pluperfects. No problem, I didn’t like them anyway.

4. maça kadar iyi ol|ma|n|ı umarım: ummak with infinitive? I got used to seeing it with participles. As infinitives are more manipulative as participles are narrative, maybe this stresses the wish. Just a guess.

165.       si++
3785 posts
 16 Nov 2011 Wed 07:10 pm

Quoting Abla

I’m not quite as dummy as it seems. I just try to do what is difficult for me.

Some Notes:

1. It seems that keşke is more important in remote wishes than I thought. Yep

2. I don’t understand at all. All my last minute corrections were wrong. I mean sentences 5-9. I try to put it in short. I followed this system (even though I know it’s not very clever to look at the English ruling):

I just translated them looking at the English text, hence corrections.

A) I wish I did > etsem

B) I wish I had done > etseydim

The problem was in type A sentences. They do not actually refer to the past. In my opinion the past tense form of the predicate is just the demand of English syntax. If the dishwasher didn’t work, I want it to work now, if you understand what I mean. The only sentences where type A was accepted were 10, 11 and 19: ‘I wish I could eat peanuts’, ‘I wish he would stop sending messages’ and ‘I wish you could be here’.

[Sigh.] It is difficult to see what the difference is. If it was about time, about referring to the future, ‘I wish you could come to Fethiye in the summer’ is a counter example. It’s more likely to be about the remoteness of the wish

This reminds me of the situation after I first translated some conditionals. All –se-verbs were incorrect. No wonder, it is the same concept.

Maybe the solution is to cook first as I feel and then take another handfull of –di-endings and add them to the soup.

Sorry, I don´t have a clear explaination for you.

3. You deleted both my so called pluperfects. No problem, I didn’t like them anyway.

4. maça kadar iyi ol|ma|n|ı umarım: ummak with infinitive? I got used to seeing it with participles. As infinitives are more manipulative as participles are narrative, maybe this stresses the wish. Just a guess.

İyi olduğunu umarım = I hope that you are fine/OK.

İyi olmanı umarım = I hope you will be fine/OK.

Note that inşallah construction is preferred in Turkish.

İnşallah iyi olursun = I hope you will be fine/OK.

166.       Abla
3648 posts
 18 Nov 2011 Fri 05:28 pm

Thanks, si++. Sometimes it´s good to know there are no clear rules. Suppose there were, I should have known it for a long time ago and I didn´t. Now I just admit it, see around and in time get closer.

167.       Abla
3648 posts
 24 Nov 2011 Thu 08:58 am

I guess I can´t get further with these on my own:

1. Frank´s wallet is lying on the coffee table. He must have left it here last night. Frank’in cüzdanı kahve masasında yatıyor. Dün gece onu burada bırakmış olmalıydı.

2. Mrs. Scarlett´s body was found in the lounge just moments ago, and it´s still warm! Nobody has left the mansion this evening, so the killer must be someone in this room. It may be any one of us. Bayan Scarlett’in cesedi sadece birkaç an önce bulundu, daha ılıktır. Hiç kimse bu gece konaktan ayrılmadı, o yüzden katil bu odadaki biri olmalı. Birimiz olabilir.

3. Ted´s flight from Amsterdam took more than 11 hours. He must be exhausted after such a long flight. He should prefer to stay in tonight and get some rest. Ted’in Amsterdam’dan uçuşu 11 saatten daha sürdü. O kadar uzun uçuştan sonra çok yorgun olmalı. Bu gece içinde kalıp biraz dinlense ona iyi olur.

4. My uncle’s car broke down last weekend and he had to have it towed more than fifty kilometres. It must have cost a fortune. Amcamin arabası geçen haftasonu kırmış ve o 50 kilometreden daha onu çektirmek zorunda kalmış. Bir servete mal olmuş olmalıydı.

5. When I was a child my grandmother was continually correcting our manners. She always used to say, "One must not eat with one’s mouth open.” Or she would correct us by saying “One shouldn’t rest one’s elbows on the table. And every time I wanted to leave the table, she would say: “One must ask to be excused.” Ben çocukken büyükannem sürekli bir şekilde tavırlarımızı düzeltiyordu. Hep “Ağzı açıkken yemek yenmemeli” derdi. Ya da “Dirsekleri masadan destek alınmamalı” diye bizi doğrulttu. Ve her zaman ben masadan ayrılmak isterken “İzin verilmeli” derdi.

6. I´ve redone this math problem at least twenty times, but my answer is wrong according to the answer key. The answer in the book must be wrong. Bu matematik sorununu en az yırmı kez yeniden çözdüm, ama cevabım cetvele göre yanlıştır. Kitaptaki cevap yanlış olmalıdır.

7. The television isn´t working. It must have damaged during the move. Televizyon çalışmıyor. Taşınma boyunca zarar vermiş olmalıydi.

8. You must be kidding! That can´t be true. Elbette dalga geçiyorsun. Gerçek olamıyor.

9. Firefighters must be able to climb high ladders, swim 400 metres in less than 12 minutes and carry heavy equipment. İtfaiyeciler, yüksek merdivenlere tırmanıp 400 metreyi 12’den daha az dakikada yüzüp ağır bir donatım taşıyabilmeliler.

10. Do you always have to say the first thing that pops into your head. Couldn’t you think once in a while before you speak? Başına gelen birinci şeyi hep söylemeli misin? Konuşmadan önce arada bir düşünebilir misin?

11. Terry and Frank said they would come over right after work. They should be here by 6:00. Terry ile Frank hemen işten sonra gelecekleri söylediler. Burada saat altıda olmalılar.

12. Israel may be forced to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities. İsrail İran nükleer tesislerine saldırmak mecburiyetinde kalabilir.

168.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 24 Nov 2011 Thu 09:54 am

Quoting Abla

I guess I can´t get further with these on my own:

1. Frank´s wallet is lying on the coffee table. He must have left it here last night. Frank’in cüzdanı kahve masasında yatıyor. Dün gece onu burada bırakmış olmalı ydı.

2. Mrs. Scarlett´s body was found in the lounge just moments ago, and it´s still warm! Nobody has left the mansion this evening, so the killer must be someone in this room. It may be any one of us. Bayan Scarlett’in cesedi sadece birkaç an dakika önce bulundu, daha ılıktır hala sıcak. Hiç kimse bu gece konaktan ayrılmadı, o yüzden katil bu odadaki biri olmalı. Herhangi birimiz olabilir.

3. Ted´s flight from Amsterdam took more than 11 hours. He must be exhausted after such a long flight. He should prefer to stay in tonight and get some rest. Ted’in Amsterdam’dan uçuşu 11 saatten daha fazla sürdü. O kadar uzun uçuştan sonra çok yorgun olmalı. Bu gece içinde kalıp biraz dinlense ona iyi olur.

4. My uncle’s car broke down last weekend and he had to have it towed more than fifty kilometres. It must have cost a fortune. Amcamin arabası geçen haftasonu kırmış bozulmuş ve onu 50 kilometreden daha fazla onu çektirmek zorunda kalmış. Bir servete mal olmuş olmalı ydı.

5. When I was a child my grandmother was continually correcting our manners. She always used to say, "One must not eat with one’s mouth open.” Or she would correct us by saying “One shouldn’t rest one’s elbows on the table. And every time I wanted to leave the table, she would say: “One must ask to be excused.” Ben çocukken büyükannem sürekli bir şekilde tavırlarımızı düzeltiyordu. Hep “Ağzı Ağız açık ken yemek yenmemeli” derdi. Ya da “Dirsekleri  Dirseklerle masadan destek alınmamalı” diye bizi doğrulttu düzeltirdi. Ve her zaman ben masadan ayrılmak isterken “İzin verilmeli istenmeli” derdi.

6. I´ve redone this math problem at least twenty times, but my answer is wrong according to the answer key. The answer in the book must be wrong. Bu matematik sorununu en az yırmı kez yeniden çözdüm, ama cevabım cetvele  cevap anahtarına göre yanlış(tır). Kitaptaki cevap yanlış olmalı(dır).

7. The television isn´t working. It must have damaged during the move. Televizyon çalışmıyor. Taşınma boyunca sırasında zarar vermiş görmüş olmalı ydi.

8. You must be kidding! That can´t be true. Elbette Dalga geçiyorsun geçiyor olmalısın. Bu gerçek olamıyor olamaz.

9. Firefighters must be able to climb high ladders, swim 400 metres in less than 12 minutes and carry heavy equipment. İtfaiyeciler, yüksek merdivenlere tırmanıp 400 metreyi 12’den daha az dakikada yüzüp ağır bir donatım taşıyabilmeliler.

10. Do you always have to say the first thing that pops into your head. Couldn’t you think once in a while before you speak? Başına Aklına gelen birinci ilk şeyi hep söylemeli misin? Konuşmadan önce arada bir düşünebilir düşünemez misin?

11. Terry and Frank said they would come over right after work. They should be here by 6:00. Terry ile Frank hemen işten sonra geleceklerini söylediler. Burada Saat altıda burada olmalılar.

12. Israel may be forced to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities. İsrail İran nükleer tesislerine saldırmak mecburiyetinde kalabilir.

Let me touch on a few things:

1)It must have been damaged during the move. 

If you translate this like that "Taşınma sırasında zarar görmüş olmalıydı" It means "It had to be damaged during the move." This is wrong. You shouldn´t make "olmalı" past here. Don´t worry with adding "müş" to "görmek" you have already given a past meaning to predicate.

2)Generally we don´t use dır at the end of the predicates. It is not wrong but sometimes unnecessary. "dır" also can give predicate a meaning that you guess or hope it. Generally we use dır when we define something or talking about scientific facts, etc..

3) The answer key must be wrong.

There is a guess here and when we translate it like that "Cevap anahtarı yanlış olmalı". We also give that guess meaning with -malı suffix. There is no need to add -dır after it.

Edited (11/24/2011) by gokuyum

169.       Abla
3648 posts
 24 Nov 2011 Thu 11:00 am

Thank you so much, gokuyum. Expressing past certainty seems to be today´s lesson for me. A couple of more remarks if you don´t mind:

1. Hep “Ağzı Ağız açık ken yemek yenmemeli”: In the English translation there was talk about ´one´s mouth´, ´one´s elbows´. It´s good to know impersonal passive in Turkish works in this kind of instructions which are given to people in general, but it seems that in this case you cannot use 3rd person possessive suffix to refer to this general person, isn´t it?

2. Herhangi birimiz olabilir: Queueing pronouns like this was something new to me but while making the translation I already doubted that the whole meaning was not in birimiz. Interesting.

3. Isn´t there any way in Turkish to express ´by six o´clock´, ´any time before six o´clock but not later´? I thought about saat altıya kadar but it didn´t sound right.

170.       gokuyum
5050 posts
 24 Nov 2011 Thu 11:14 am

Quoting Abla

Thank you so much, gokuyum. Expressing past certainty seems to be today´s lesson for me. A couple of more remarks if you don´t mind:

1. Hep “Ağzı Ağız açık ken yemek yenmemeli”: In the English translation there was talk about ´one´s mouth´, ´one´s elbows´. It´s good to know impersonal passive in Turkish works in this kind of instructions which are given to people in general, but it seems that in this case you cannot use 3rd person possessive suffix to refer to this general person, isn´t it?

2. Herhangi birimiz olabilir: Queueing pronouns like this was something new to me but while making the translation I already doubted that the whole meaning was not in birimiz. Interesting.

3. Isn´t there any way in Turkish to express ´by six o´clock´, ´any time before six o´clock but not later´? I thought about saat altıya kadar but it didn´t sound right.

1) You can also use third person possesive if you want. 

EX: One should not eat something with his mouth open. Kimse ağzı açık yemek yememeli.

3)By six o´clock. 6´ya kadar. It is correct.

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
<<  ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked