70.       Abla
3648 posts
 25 Aug 2011 Thu 03:40 pm

Sağ olun, si++.

71.       Abla
3648 posts
 25 Aug 2011 Thu 04:44 pm

Notes:

1. It seems that I messed with all the tenses. Firstly, as this was a newspaper report, I thought -miş-participle was the best tense to explain what happened but you replaced it with -di in these cases

......çenesine birkaç dikiş attırmak zorunda kaldı.

Polise göre...sürücü genç bir kadındı. (Is it because the reporter is mentioned?)

2. Another problem  -  and this is a big one  - is present continuous. I will probably open it as a thread of its own after I look around a little bit more in order to know how to ask. Anyway it seems that in this report anything that the police says or suspects or recommends or puts his nose into is expressed with present continuous. I have noticed it´s use before in weather forecasts (I mean the last word of every second sentence is ...bekleniyor, that´s as far as I can get). This tense is taught to learners very early but I feel until now I understand only a small slice of its use.

3. Tell me an example where rast gelmek is in its right place.

In brief, this is so difficult. Feel like giving up.

Edited (8/25/2011) by Abla

72.       si++
3785 posts
 25 Aug 2011 Thu 06:12 pm

Quoting Abla

Notes:

1. It seems that I messed with all the tenses. Firstly, as this was a newspaper report, I thought -miş-participle was the best tense to explain what happened but you replaced it with -di in these cases

......çenesine birkaç dikiş attırmak zorunda kaldı.

Polise göre...sürücü genç bir kadındı. (Is it because the reporter is mentioned?)

2. Another problem  -  and this is a big one  - is present continuous. I will probably open it as a thread of its own after I look around a little bit more in order to know how to ask. Anyway it seems that in this report anything that the police says or suspects or recommends or puts his nose into is expressed with present continuous. I have noticed it´s use before in weather forecasts (I mean the last word of every second sentence is ...bekleniyor, that´s as far as I can get). This tense is taught to learners very early but I feel until now I understand only a small slice of its use.

In brief, this is so difficult. Feel like giving up.

1- -miş is used mostly for hearsay but it´s an informative sentence rather than reporting an hearsay.

According to the police the driver was a young blonde woman who was wearing a pink jumper. Polise göre arabacı pembe süveterdeki genç sarışın bir kadınmış.

Polise göre sürücü pembe süveterli sarışın bir genç bir bayandı/kadındı.

With -mış it would mean:

According to the police the driver is said (by witnesses) to be a young blonde woman who was wearing a pink jumper.

Now it supposed to be a police info rather than hear say so -dı sound better than -mış.

2- Use present continious tense when you are referring to a specific event and simple present tense when not (i.e. when speaking about general things)

3- rast gelmek = run into

Eve giderken bir arkadaşa rast geldim = I ran into a friend when heading back home.

73.       MarioninTurkey
6124 posts
 25 Aug 2011 Thu 08:08 pm

Quoting Abla

I think of it like something that happens by chance or by coincidence, or was a surprise.

74.       si++
3785 posts
 26 Aug 2011 Fri 11:27 am

Quoting MarioninTurkey

I think of it like something that happens by chance or by coincidence, or was a surprise.

Indeed!

Ratgele = Random (adj), randomly (adv)

75.       Abla
3648 posts
 01 Sep 2011 Thu 01:29 pm

I was trying to practice sentences with relative clauses and indirect questions. Let´s see if I have any clue:

1. I told you about the woman who lives next door. Yandaki evde yaşıyan kadın hakkında anlattım.

2. Do you see the cat which is lying on the roof? Dam üstünde yatan kediyi görüyor musun?

3. The old woman couldn’t read which surprised me. Yaşlı kadının okuyamaması beni şaşırttı.

4. Do you know the boy whose mother is a nurse? Annesi hastabakıcı olan erkek çocuğu biliyor musun?

5. I was invited by the professor whom I met at the conference. Kongrede tanıştığım profesörce davet edildim.

6. I don’t like the table that stands in the kitchen. Mutfakta bulunan masayı beğenmiyorum.

7. Can you see the street corner from behind which the red lorry turns? Arkasından kırmızı kamyon döndüğü köşe başını görebiliyor musun?

8. People say that the girl’s parents didn’t like at all the young man who she was seen with. Ana babası, kızın görüldüğü delikanlıyı pek sevmiyormuşlar.

9. The writer whose novel you just finished used to be a member of the Parliament. Romanını henüz tamamladığınız yazar, Avrupa Parlamentosu’nun üyelerinden birisiydi.

10. The ship which they came with left Stockholm in the morning. Geldikleri vapur Stockholm’dan sabahleyin kalktı.

11. The filled vegetables which grandmother cooked were delicious. Büyükannenin pişirdiği dolma lezzetliydi.

12. All teammates jumped over the player who shot the ball behind the goalkeeper. Tüm takım arkadaşları, topa kalecinin arkasına vurmuş olan oyuncunun üstüne atladılar.

13. That is the woman whose mobile phone the children found in the street. Çocukların sokakta cep telefonunu buldukları bayan şudur.

14. A seaman is someone who works on a ship. Bir denizci gemide çalışan bir kimsedir.

15. The place where the moped and the helmet were found was checked carefully. Mopediyle miğfer bulunduğu yer dikkatle kontrol edildi.

16. The police wants to know if she rode her moped out of the road herself. Polis, onun mopedine yolun dışına kendi binip binmediğini bilmek istiyor.

17. The whole country is asking what happened to this 15-year-old girl. Bütün yurt bu 15 yaşındaki kızıyla ne olduğunu soruyor.

18. We are afraid if she has been killed or kidnapped. Öldürülmüş mü kaçırılmış mı korkuyoruz.

19. No one seems to know where colonel Gaddafi is hiding. Hiç kimse albay Gaddafi’nin sakladığı yerini bilmiyormuş gibi.

20. Tell me what time the Schalke match begins. Schalke maçın başladığı zamanı söyle.

76.       si++
3785 posts
 01 Sep 2011 Thu 03:13 pm

1. I told you about the woman who lives next door. Yandaki evde yaşıyan kadın hakkında anlattım.

2. Do you see the cat which is lying on the roof? Dam üstünde yatan kediyi görüyor musun?

3. The old woman couldn’t read which surprised me. Yaşlı kadının okuyamaması beni şaşırttı.

4. Do you know the boy whose mother is a nurse? Annesi hastabakıcı olan erkek çocuğu biliyor musun (tanıyor musun)?

5. I was invited by the professor whom I met at the conference. Kongrede tanıştığım profesörce davet edildim. (excellent)

6. I don’t like the table that stands in the kitchen. Mutfakta bulunan (or mutfaktaki) masayı beğenmiyorum.

7. Can you see the street corner from behind which the red lorry turns? Arkasından kırmızı kamyonun döndüğü köşe başını görebiliyor musun?

8. People say that the girl’s parents didn’t like at all the young man who she was seen with. Ana babası, kızın (birlikte) görüldüğü delikanlıyı pek sevmiyormuşlar (sevmiyorlarmış).

9. The writer whose novel you just finished used to be a member of the Parliament. Romanını (okumayı) henüz tamamladığınız yazar, Avrupa (Europe missing) Parlamentosu’nun üyelerinden birisiydi.

10. The ship which they came with left Stockholm in the morning. Geldikleri vapur Stockholm’dan sabahleyin kalktı (ayrıldı).

11. The filled vegetables which grandmother cooked were delicious. Büyükannenin pişirdiği dolma lezzetliydi.

12. All teammates jumped over the player who shot the ball behind the goalkeeper. Tüm takım arkadaşları, topa kalecinin arkasına vurmuş olan oyuncunun üstüne atladılar.

13. That is the woman whose mobile phone the children found in the street. Çocukların sokakta cep telefonunu buldukları bayan şudur. (bravo)

14. A seaman is someone who works on a ship. (Bir) denizci gemide çalışan bir kimsedir.

15. The place where the moped and the helmet were found was checked carefully. Mopediyle miğfer Mopedle miğferin bulunduğu yer dikkatle kontrol edildi.

16. The police wants to know if she rode her moped out of the road herself. Polis, onun mopedine yolun dışında kendisinin binip binmediğini bilmek istiyor.

17. The whole country is asking what happened to this 15-year-old girl. Bütün yurt/ülke bu 15 yaşındaki kızıyla kıza ne olduğunu soruyor.

18. We are afraid if she has been killed or kidnapped. Öldürülmüş mü kaçırılmış mı korkuyoruz. Öldürülmüş yada kaçırılmış olmasından korkuyoruz.

19. No one seems to know where colonel Gaddafi is hiding. Hiç kimse albay Gaddafi’nin sakladığı yerini saklandığı yeri bilmiyormuş gibi.

20. Tell me what time the Schalke match begins. Schalke maçın başladığı zamanı söyle. Schalke maçının kaçta başladığını söyler misin?

77.       Abla
3648 posts
 01 Sep 2011 Thu 03:28 pm

si++. Sağ olun. Again and always.

78.       Abla
3648 posts
 01 Sep 2011 Thu 11:21 pm

Small Notes:

1. Polis, onun mopedine yolun dışında kendisinin binip binmediğini bilmek istiyor.

- Why the locative, when driving out of the road is movement towards?

2. Hiç kimse albay Gaddafi´nin sakladığı yerini saklandığı yeri bilmiyormuş gibi.

- I didn´t notice that saklamak is transitive. Then saklanmak is reflexive or what? Doesn´t yer really have any possessive connection to the preceeding words (as it only has accusative ending)?

79.       si++
3785 posts
 02 Sep 2011 Fri 08:20 am

Quoting Abla

Small Notes:

1. Polis, onun mopedine yolun dışında kendisinin binip binmediğini bilmek istiyor.

- Why the locative, when driving out of the road is movement towards?

2. Hiç kimse albay Gaddafi´nin sakladığı yerini saklandığı yeri bilmiyormuş gibi.

- I didn´t notice that saklamak is transitive. Then saklanmak is reflexive or what? Doesn´t yer really have any possessive connection to the preceeding words (as it only has accusative ending)?

1- The police wants to know if she rode her moped out of the road herself.

English sentence tell me I should use locative here. Ride and drive are different, I think. With "drive" I would use dative here but "ride" makes me think locative is better here. No?

2- Yes it is and "saklanmak" is reflexive.

X=albay Kaddafi´nin saklandığı yer = the place (where) Ghaddafi is hiding

Hiç kimse X´i bilmiyormuş gibi = Nobody sems to know X (hence accusative)

80.       Abla
3648 posts
 02 Sep 2011 Fri 11:45 am

Ah, the English sentence is careless (Finnish influence, we just drive anything that has wheels). Maybe it´s not drive and ride which are different but sürmek and binmek. One takes the vehicle as the direct object and the other is content with a dative complement. Perhaps this difference is the reason, who knows.

Besides, the moped here is not the usual object of riding. The fact that it was "ridden there and abandoned" in the course of the same action may change something.

Edited (9/2/2011) by Abla

(605 Messages in 61 pages - View all)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ...  >>
Add reply to this discussion

Turkish Dictionary
Turkish Chat
Open mini chat
New in Forums
Why yer gördüm but yeri geziyorum
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, makes perfect sense!
Etmeyi vs etmek
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Görülmez vs görünmiyor
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much, very well explained!
Içeri and içeriye
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Present continous tense
HaydiDeer: Got it, thank you!
Hic vs herhangi, degil vs yok
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much!
Rize Artvin Airport Transfer - Rize Tours
rizetours: Dear Guest; In order to make your Black Sea trip more enjoyable, our c...
What does \"kabul ettiğini\" mean?
HaydiDeer: Thank you very much for the detailed ...
Kimse vs biri (anyone)
HaydiDeer: Thank you!
Random Pictures of Turkey
Most liked